Wall-mount sliding door on a bathroom?

nugentcnSeptember 7, 2008

I have a tiny bathroom but the wall next to the door opening will not accommodate a traditional pocket door because of plumbing/electrical. I had an idea that a door which slides outside the wall like a barn door could be a solution and have just discovered a hardware kit that includes a fascia for hiding the hardware with trim:

http://johnsonhardware.com/2610f.htm

My question is: Are there ways to ensure security of the door--latch, lock, or something like that? Also, are there small cracks at the edge of the door between the wall trim and the door itself that compromise privacy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
antss

Are there ways to ensure security of the door--latch, lock, or something like that?

sure - you can use a simple hook and eye, will cost you around 2 dollars at he hardware store.

Also, are there small cracks at the edge of the door between the wall trim and the door itself that compromise privacy?

Of course, but how large or small depends on your contractor's talent and your pocketbook. To minimize gaps your wall will need to be very , very , very , very , very straight AND plumb. The door you use will have to be free of twist and warp also AND remain that way. Normal bulges in the drywall from tape and mud joints will be very troublesome. A level 4 or 5 finish is what you are after.

good luck

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 1:38PM
laurmela

Here is one we just put in. It is the hall/kids bath. Door swing was in and hit the tub. This give you so much more room.

Old door

New door

We got the hardware from the website you posted. It is very easy to install. The door is just a tad wider than the opening so that eliminates the gap. Contractor used molding on the inside as well. Right now I have no latch, but will get a hook and eye, as mentioned. Kids pretty much know when the door is closed it is occupied. There really is no issue with privacy at all.

Good Luck,

Laura

Bookmark   September 8, 2008 at 12:24PM
marchella

I just saw you wall mounted door on your bathroom, this is what I want when I enlarge my bathroom. Your door is very nice. One question, you bought the mounting hardware only from "johnsonhardware.com" and purchased the door in your area. Thankyou for your help.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 4:01PM
GardenBarbie2

I'm ready to install my first wall mount sliding door. Are there any installation tricks that I should know ahead of time? What about molding? Can I use the existing molding?

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™