Working Exterior Shutters

icandoitalsoJuly 12, 2009

Has anyone built their working shutters for the outside of their home? I would like to use a long lasting wood and a board and batten style. I live in south Louisiana and am trying to get ready for hurricane season. Any information or websites would be helpful. Everything I have found to purchase ready made are very expensive.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brutuses

DH built ours. See photo's and let me know if this is the style you are interested in. We're also in S. Louisiana. He's sleeping right now, but I'll ask him for specifics and pass them on to you tomorrow if you'd you like.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 12:17AM
icandoitalso

Thank you brutuses. They are exactly what we're looking for.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 5:24AM
brutuses

I'll get some information to you tonight.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 12:20PM
brutuses

DH says, the shutters are made of pine v-grove on one side and bead board on the other side, tongue and grove boards that were purchased from Home Depot. The shutter dogs and slide bolt was purchased from Ricker on Solomon St. in N. O. and the hinges come from Timberland Shutter Co. on the internet. (Timberland also has the shutter dogs and slide bolts.) The paint is Benjamin Moore, Soft Gloss exterior top of the line.

Let me know if there is any other information I can get for you. Make sure to post photo's when you get yours built.

Bookmark   July 13, 2009 at 11:35PM
brutuses

Just wanted to make sure you received the information I posted.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 10:41AM
icandoitalso

Yes Brutuses I did and Thank You so much. Sorry about not getting back to you. We have seen the pine your talking about - your shutters are beautiful ... but we are hoping to use a cedar or red wood. We're told they would last much longer than the pine. The thickness of the wood is what we're having problems finding. Someone suggested we use cedar fence boards. I think we'll check into that this weekend.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 7:12PM
brutuses

I'm sorry, I was going to recommend another wood especially if you don't have a porch to help protect the windows from the elements. Ours are far enough back under the porch roof that they will rarely ever experience rain and the only sun they get is about an hour in the afternoon. Some of the windows will not be protected by the porch but I guess we'll just see how brutual the weather is on them as time progresses and if they need to be changed. If so we'll go with something more durable. DH liked the tongue and groove on these as it matched the porch ceiling, so that's why he chose it.

Bookmark   July 19, 2009 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Looking at houses in my hometown today
So today I went to my hometown and drove around looking...
mrspete
Using a contractor question
My husband and I are wanting to build a home. We sat...
LullabyF360
Door heights and sliding door
We are remodeling a small apartment in a modern high...
tzameret
Need help laundry room flooring
I am in the process of selecting floors for my new...
foxdeerpark
Master Bath Layout Help
Hi, I have decided to get rid of the freestanding tub....
noworries22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™