How to finish tile at shower ceiling?

caroline732September 29, 2007

Hi,

Our backerboard is up and we did a draft layout of shower our tile on grid paper. It works out perfectly to have tile to the ceiling -- with the tile at the top being two rows of our 3 x 9 decorative tiles (not bullnose). I do have a 3 x 9 bullnose avalable that matches the main tile, but the 2 rows of decorative looks sharp.

In the rest of the bathroom I will have paint and I am putting up crown molding.

How do we finish off the top? Do we just caulk at the corner with the sheetrock on the ceiling? Can I use crown molding and take off one of the rows of decorative tiles? Should I replace the top row of 3 x 9 decorative tile with the 3 x 9 bullnose piece at the top? Do we use that piece of plastic schluter trim we found at HD that you use for outside corners?

I know there is a recent topic about this but how does that schluter piece look. I think the double row of decorative tiles will look really nice.

Your advice is most appreciated!

Grid draft layout of back/long shower wall with prefab proform niche

Our tile pieces (9 x 12 regular, 9 x 12 decorative, 3 x 9 decoratives, 3 x 9 bullnose)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

If you're abutting the ceiling (or crown molding if you decide to go that route) there's no need for bullnose, or the Schluter finishing strip. Just caulk the tile into the sheetrock, or crown molding, whichever way you decide to go. Don't overthink this. You'll end up making it more difficult than it really is. :-)

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 11:33AM
mongoct

I agree with Bill.

I wouldn't use crown in that application unless the rest of the house is appropriately trimmed out.

That written, I use crown throughout bathrooms, even in showers, on a regular basis.

If the ceiling/wall intersection is straight, then tiling to the ceiling and caulking the top would be fine.

If the intersection is a bit wavy and you think tiling to the ceiling would accentuate that wavyness, then leave the top 3" blank and paint it the same color as the ceiling.

Decision, decisions...

Mongo

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 12:53PM
karenburlingame

Caroline, I can't answer your question, but I was intrigued by the idea of putting crown in the shower, so I'm jumping in with a followup to your question.

Can the crown molding be wood, and if the shower is already tiled to the ceiling, can it be installed on top of the tile?

Bookmark   September 29, 2007 at 6:30PM
bill_vincent

Can the crown molding be wood, and if the shower is already tiled to the ceiling, can it be installed on top of the tile?

Yes, and yes, if done carefully. If the tile's done already, it's going to be tough driving nails for the nailer behind the crown, but it can be done.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 10:13PM
caroline732

Mongo,

Please define waviness -- this is really an issue for me trying to decide how to finish the tile at the top of the ceiling....

Thanks,

Caroline

Bookmark   October 2, 2007 at 10:32PM
caroline732

Also,

We put new drywalll on the ceiling. I was thinking I could make sure the joint in between the hardibacker on the wall & the ceiling was very smooth and even through the joint compound applications & sanding process.

Would that make tiling to the ceiling easier?

I know Bill V. said not to overthink this and now I am :(

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 9:06AM
lisavg

If you are using 8 x 12 in tiles on a shower wall vertically, how should the tiles be placed on the ceiling of the shower? Does it matter?

Bookmark   November 7, 2007 at 11:22PM
bill_vincent

I'll usually run them so that as you come into the area, you're looking at the length of them.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 7:57AM
More Discussions
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Infinity-Z 60 in. x 76-3/4 in. Sliding Shower Door
Home Depot
Remer by Nameeks 359SSXL Shower Head - REMER 359SSXL
$587.00 | Hayneedle
Polished Chrome Whitehaus WH50124 Shower Set with Hand Held & Slidebar
$249.00 | Blue Bath
Fima Frattini by Nameeks S2199/1 Shower Head - S2199/1CR
Hayneedle
Bride's Wedding Keepsake Journal
$8.49 | zulily