Last question on linear drain (I hope)

lori_inthenw_gwSeptember 19, 2013

Planning on using the tiled-in Laticrete drain, but switching it to the longer side of the shower. This will mean standing on a slight side slope when facing showerhead, but it lets us get away without either a curb or a slight wedge-shaped drop, which seems safer.

The 5 ft drain will leave a couple of undrained inches at either end. Assume that is OK? Tiles will be large format, so just notched there. Installer generally uses Redguard waterproofing, but I told him he may need to use Hydroban to get the warranty. True or false? (He also prefers a different brand of thinnest and grout, but surely that is independent of the drainage/waterproofing system?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

"The 5 ft drain will leave a couple of undrained inches at either end. Assume that is OK?" It is indeed okay.

"Installer generally uses Redguard waterproofing, but I told him he may need to use Hydroban to get the warranty." Yes, you'd want to use HB with the Laticrete drain.

"He also prefers a different brand of thinnest and grout, but surely that is independent of the drainage/waterproofing system?" Correct again, thinsets are independent of the drain system. One caution though. If he uses RedGard I'm guessing maybe he's a Home Depot guy? That means he might use CutsomBrand thinsets. If for whatever reason he wants to use Custom's unmodified thinset, consider having him use something else. My opinion. I'll never use it to bond one thing to another, but I do use it when setting cement board over plywood. That's about all it's good for, taking up space.

Custom's modified thinsets; VersaBond and FlexBond are fine. Again, my opinion.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lori_inthenw_gw

Thanks, Mongo! (You've been so helpful, I'm afraid I'm going to have to put up a plaque with your name on it in this bathroom!) I don't know what he likes to use for thinset and grout, but I will find out when the time comes. Right now they are preparing to pour the slab, so need to know some things about the drain itself.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Air Tubs: Bain Ultra vs Oceania??
We have researched a number of "air tubs"...
d_dub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™