Engineered composite vanity tops

Karen15September 29, 2013

We don't want laminate counters. I have heard corian scratches too easily and granite is pricey. I would actually love quartz for maintenance free but that's even more pricey. Has anyone ever heard of engineered composite stone tops? One brand I am looking at is St. Paul Woodcrafters. Would love to know your review of the product. It says it looks like granite but costs less. I don't want it to look cheap though. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carra

Are you referring to something like cultured granite? If so, I personally like them. Although they do not have the high polish of granite and in comparing prices, they honestly (in my area) are not significantly less expensive than an entry level granite.

This post was edited by carra on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 21:24

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 7:53PM
Karen15

I came across the brand on home depot and it said AB engineered composite. They look really nice but for example a small single 24in vanity and top combo is only $175.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:09PM
Karen15

Basically it says create the look of granite without the price tag. Stone effects

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:13PM
carra

I'm not familiar with that exact product but after looking at the home depot website, I'd say the product looks more like marble than granite. I spoke to a guy at Lowe's last week about pricing a cultured granite vanity (a 6 foot run with one sink) and it only came in about $75 less than real granite.

Bookmark   September 29, 2013 at 9:29PM
pcweary

Right now I am in the process of freshening up one of my bathrooms and demo with the jackhammers is tomorrow. One of my choices for vanity top and shower surround was cultured granite which did not originally appeal to me. Then I went into a local very high-end bath showroom to get some ideas and Lo and behold, there was a tub to shower display made with the cultured granite in a matte finish. Looked just like Corian and was surprised when the designer told me it was cultured granite. Sure changed my opinion and fortunately my contractor uses one of the best fabricators in the area so that ended up being my choice. There is nothing about it that looks cheap, however, some colors look better than others.
I would think the glossier surface would show some scratches and watermarks and for that plus aesthetic reasons, I chose the matte finish.
In the next couple of weeks, I shall have my new shower and vanity top.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
Thoughts on Corian for shower threshold, top of bench, etc?
Does this hold up well as a solid slab on top of a...
risforremodel
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
"Dated" but maybe I need to do it anyway?
Sorry for the long post. We are remodeling the master...
risforremodel
Tile or what for top of shower bench and knee wall?
We are remodeling our master bath and will have a shower...
risforremodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™