What are these pieces of wood called in my attic?

tlbean2004July 31, 2014

In the pic, you can see the plank decking for the roof and then the rafters are of course under it. But under the rafters there are 2 pieces of 2x10 wood next to each other going horizontally accross and they are going through the pine tongue and groove sheathing and run all the way down the house i guess.
Does anyone know what they are called. This room that they are exposed in is a unfinished storage room attached to the house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

In this pic you can see the front of the house and the unfinished storage room is infront of the SUV. It is part of the house, but can only be accessed from outside. The gate to the backyard is between the storage room and the main house. This was builtin 1960.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You need to show more of the structure but since the 2x10's are supporting the ends of rafters they would be some form of beam. If short they would be called a header and if long and carrying a lot of load they might be called a girder. If they go outside they might be supporting the carport rafters.

    Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Looking for ideas on stone veneer layout on front of house
We are in the stages of finalizing the design &...
is/has anyone built a frank betz home?
Just wondering... Which model? We are currently considering...
Please Critique Our Plan!
Long time lurker, first time poster. My husband and...
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
Curtain height?
My walkout basement ceilings are 9 feet. I like curtains...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™