Question for coolbeans

denali2007September 23, 2012

I saw the bathroom you posted in the aging in place post. This is exactly what we are trying to do. I especially love your bench. Can you give the specifics of what you did? Do you have a larger picture? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolbeansw

Hi Denali

Originally we had a 60" x 32" fiberglass shower/tub combo unit. When it was removed, we saw that there was over 6" of "dead space" that had been framed in to accommodate the 60" fiberglass unit. By removing that, we were able to increase the size of the replacement tiled shower to 66" x 36". That then led us to decide there would be enough space to do a long rectangular bench, rather than a corner one, which we felt was much more user-friendly and practical. We decided to make it 12" deep and 35" wide, which needed to be custom built.

Our tile contractor did the whole thing. The bench began as a a wooden slab that was attached to wall studs, then redguarded on all sides, and finally tiled on all sides. It is rock solid yet comfortable to sit on. It is slightly angled so that water runs off of it into the shower.

For people who don't choose to sit while showering, the bench is a nice place to keep a towel and sit while drying off.

I added some more pictures of the shower to my photobucket link. Holler if you have any more questions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall Bath Reno with Safe Shower

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 1:13PM
coolbeansw

Clarification: He framed the bench in wood and then built the "slab" with cement board. Then it was red guarded and tiled.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:00AM
denali2007

Thanks so much for the information, Coolbeans. I really like your bench we only have a 60 " area and since DH removed the tub already, I can see that we have no hidden surprises.I agree about the corner bench. Thank you for sharing your photos. I loved the way the bathroom turned out.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
New build master bath layout help please
I’m a little stuck, and looking for ideas. In the...
am_e
Builders Depot Direct for marble?
Anyone ever ordered from them? Their prices are tempting...
64reno64
Tall toilet brands?
Looking for suggestions, need taller than the standard...
jewelisfabulous
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Sponsored Products
Wandering Crane Side Table - White Oak - Ethan Abramson
$718.00 | HORNE
Americh Bel Air 7242 Tub (72" x 42" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Moooi | Raimond Suspension Light
YLighting
Americh Monet 7236 Tub (72" x 36" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Pre-owned Wish Craft Reclaimed Wood Mirror
$299.00 | Chairish
Americh Bermuda II Tub (59" x 59" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Americh Madison 6642 Tub (66" x 42" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Folding Teak Shower Seat
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™