How wide should vanity light be? Two-light or three-light?

dianekathomeSeptember 27, 2013

We are totally remodeling our master bath and I don't know if I should get a two-light or three-light fixture above each mirror. The plan shows a built-in mirror, but we are using two wall-hung mirrors. The mirrors are 31" wide by 43" high. The wall space where each mirror will be hung is 44" wide; the ceiling is 10' high; the height from the counter to the bottom of the molding on the center cabinet is 55". Should the vanity light above each mirror be smaller, about the same size or larger than the width of the mirror? And should the lights point up or down?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

I'd actually prefer more of a side light (wall sconce) versus a top-down (above the mirror) light.

You have about 6-1/2" inches between the mirror and the sidewall or pedestal cabinet. You can get a sconce in there.

I'd opt for a total of four wall sconces, each single bulb, mounted roughly around eye-level or slightly higher.

As far as the shade opening upwards or downwards, it depends on the installation height of the sconce. The goal is for the eyeball to not see a naked light bulb. Have the shade diffuse the light that the eye can see.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:39PM
sheilaaus122

I think if you have the lights above the mirrors, that centered above them and should be smaller than the mirrors. Pointing up or down seems to be no wrong or right, simply a matter of personal preference. I think sometimes it depends on the light itself, some look better pointing up aand some look better pointing down.
( I have in my master bath two 3 light vanity lights pointing up above my mirrors, In my hall bath, I have a 3 light one pointing down. I like them both.I guess I was no help other than to say the light should be less wide than the mirrors.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 8:39PM
pricklypearcactus

It's really personal preference. I like mongo's suggestion best. However, I replaced two over mirror light fixtures (and did not wish to re-wire everything to do sconces on the side). I wanted to maximize the amount of light and selected the widest possible fixtures that were not wider than the vanity / pedestal sink. In both cases I went wider than the mirror. As mongo already said you don't want to be looking at a bare bulb, beyond that it's personal preference. I generally prefer lights that point up, but that's just me.

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 2:56PM
a2gemini

Can't answer about the lights - but what is the overall width of your vanity - we need to start planning and I want to do something similar (or get rid of the tub and have a his and hers vanity)
Thanks

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:01PM
Babka NorCal 9b

If you only have lights above you, you will get shadows on your face...read that as darker circles under your eyes. Mongoct's idea looks very nice. Consider centering those recessed ceiling lights over each sink.

-Babka

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
Is Bostik TruColor grout very good?
A salesman in a tile shop recommended Bostik TruColor...
janesylvia
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Toilets, anyone?
Ten years ago we put in the Toto Ultramax after reading...
anniel58
Sponsored Products
David Trubridge Design | Floral Pendant - Paint
$450.00 | YLighting
Large Size Modern Concise Round Wood Acrylic Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Full/Queen Three-Piece Comforter Set - PURPLE (FULL/QUEEN)
$200.00 | Horchow
Persia I Pendant by CX Design
$550.00 | Lumens
Sage Gramercy Darkening Rod Pocket Panel
$17.99 | zulily
Brick Paver Ovo Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Honeycomb Cell Light-filtering Cream Cordless Cellular Shades
Overstock.com
Savoy House Harrington Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™