Earthquake!?

pkramer60February 10, 2010

Yes, here in Illinois. We had a 4.3 at about 4 a.m. this morning, after we got 14 inches of snow. The center was in Sycamore. I didn't feel a thing, but reports are coming in that people were jolted out of bed by falling books. One women was awake and reported that her bird fell off his perch!

Are locust next?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

Yep, sure enough. Here's the USGS info. It was 3.8 officially and only 5 km deep. That's why is was so noticeable. Being a CA native, I'm always interested in earthquakes & track them on a worldwide basis every day. They are startling, huh?

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: USGS

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 9:01AM
lowspark

Eeeek!

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 9:21AM
woodie2

DS is in Chicago - didn't feel it either, Peppi. He is on North Cleveland - anywhere near you?

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 1:05PM
bunnyman

Hope the New Madrid fault strain is not moving north. Not to wish anything bad for New Madrid but I'd rather those quakes not come my way. An underwater forest to the east of me and I can only wonder how it got there.

: )
lyra

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 1:40PM
doucanoe

Wow, glad it wasn't anything more serious. But that's a little too close to home for comfort!

Linda

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 3:35PM
riverrat1

I'm so glad all is well.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 3:58PM
annie1992

People felt that all the way into Michigan, Peppi. I didn't, but I'm busy shovelling my driveway out, we got snow too.

Here in the Midwest we've had the floods, the fires, the blizzards and now, the earthquakes. Like you, I'm wondering what's next, we usually have boring weather. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter, that's about it.

Annie

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 4:17PM
pkramer60

Woodie, if I remember correctly, he is in the Anderson/Uptown area, so he is east of me. I am 7 minutes east of O'Hare airport, just off the Kennedy expressway.

Lyra, this was just a ground plate shift they tell us. If it were the New madrid, we would be in big trouble, along the lines of Haiti or worse. New madrid hasn't moved in a decent fashion, blowing off steam in over 100 years. That one scares me.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 8:59PM
claire_de_luna

Peppi, Have you had any aftershocks?

I remember being rolled out of bed by an earthquake of similar magnitude in the early a.m. in Santa Barbara, CA. It unnerved me a little; I looked for reports of the earthquake at the time, but it was not considered worth reporting much about! I guess it depends on where you live. Earthquakes are so unexpected, it's a lot different than getting ''weather''. I remember the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, that sent my couch rolling around the room, three hours away from the epicenter. It sounded like trucks were going down my street. I called my cousin in Santa Cruz and the aftershocks sounded like jets taking off. I had a bit of ptss for quite a while after that. Tornados seemed a better bet to this midwestern girl!

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
My lastest kitchen purchase
Some of you may remember me talking about our local...
annie1992
My new pantry with pictures
OK, it's nearly done. We still need to replace some...
annie1992
I Thought about Grainlady and others today....
I made a loaf of bread and had all the ingredients...
carol_in_california
Need T&T recipe for Parmesan Broth
Anyone have a tried and true recipe for Parmesan broth?...
bbstx
Need Recipe Help
Need Recipe Help Our church hosts a Lenten Luncheon...
blueheron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™