Will a Generic Battery Work in My Dell Laptop

country_bumpkin_alApril 12, 2011

I have a DELL Inspiron 1545 laptop. The battery no longer holds a charge longer than 5-10mins, and I can only use it if it's plugged in. Kind of defeats having a laptop! lol I checked their website and the price of the battery is way above what I can afford.

I checked eBay and there are batteries there within my budget, but I'm wondering if they will take/hold a charge. I've always heard you HAVE to use DELL with DELL!

Any tips on getting a battery that will work without giving DELL more of my money?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

There's really no tip to give. I just had a user here that tried a non Dell battery and when they tried it the Laptop came up with "Battery not recognized" does this happen with all Dell Laptops? I'm not a 100% sure. Maybe other Dell Laptop owners can shed some light or verify that they indeed have had success with a non Dell battery.

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 10:16PM
mxyplx

I typed this into google; >> can I use a non dell battery in a dell laptop Below is one of the hits dated January 2010. Read it and weep.

http://nctritech.wordpress.com/2010/01/26/dell-laptops-reject-third-party-batteries-and-ac-adapterschargers-hardware-vendor-lock-in/

Bookmark   April 12, 2011 at 10:52PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

again one of the reasons I do not buy Dell and do not recommend them, they have gotten nuts with their proprietary stuff.
I got a great deal on ebay for a battery for my Acer netbook, why should a Dell owner be penalized and have to pay so much more for their products.

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 12:36AM
country_bumpkin_al

Guess I'm stuck!!

Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 10:32AM
SnidelyWhiplash

A risk with third party batteries is that they not-infrequently are lower quality and have less capacity than OEM versions. I personally never take the chance.

A dead battery in a laptop is like a needed major repair on a car - you go the cheaper route if the rest still works fine, or it's a good excuse to buy a whole new replacement. But even when going the cheaper route and getting a replacement battery, i think it's a false economy to buy an aftermarket brand.

Capacity is rated in milliAmp hours, for laptops it's usually a number in the single digit thousands ( 3000-9999 mAh hours)

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Only free amti-malware? I was told the purchased stuff NG.
I looked for advice a few days back on purchased maintenance/anti-malware...
jerry_nj
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Anyone else getting Lottery spam since HOUZZ took over?
Of my various e-mail accounts, only the one I use on...
lazy_gardens
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™