Self-cleaning ovens and smoke alarms

SnailLoverAugust 2, 2013

No idea which forum is best for this one. I just bought a house that was very dirty. The weather cooled off so I decided to start the self-cleaning oven today. Judging by the looks of it, probably the first time it's ever been cleaned. I'm 1/2 hour into a 3-hour cleaning and it's already stinking up the house. I opened all the windows but it's still bad. I know the smoke alarm's going to go off any minute. I went to take the battery out just until the oven is done, but discovered it's an electric one. I have no experience with these. So... how do I disable it temporarily? If I turn off the circuit I have no power upstairs and I'm trying to clean up here. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Do you have a vent hood in the kitchen? If so, put it on high and hopefully it will help clear out the smoke. If not, just use ear plugs :-)

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 12:34PM
SnailLover

Yep, I turned that on. I also rubber-banded a grocery bag over it. So far so good. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:00PM
jakvis

on the electric, non-battery types Usually if you open the cover it will disable the alarm.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:06PM
philwojo99

I have electric one's that are hardwired in my townhome, but they also have battery backups on them. For mine I can take them down by twisting them off their mounting base on the ceiling. They then have a plug on the back side that comes off so i can replace the battery. But If I pull it down it won't go off when it is disconnected from the wiring, since all of them are linked together in the house.

Phil

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
Bertazzoni gas range comprehensive review
So I've seen this question presented a few times, and...
jgopp
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
36" Rangetop & Wall Ovens vs. 48" Range
Our current kitchen plans call for a 36" rangetop...
greasetrap
36" Blue star range- tight on space and can't decide on one electric o
Doing a kitchen renovation and have space for a 36"...
nismo99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™