Cost of metal roof vs. composite

madisonkdJuly 25, 2012

Is the metal roofing typically a lot more in cost than composite? Every so often I see a metal roof on a smaller house, or farm house, that I know the value of the home is in the 150K range... I love the sound of rain on a metal roof, and I love the look of it too... just wondering on the cost difference between that and comp. shingles??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LuAnn_in_PA

In MY area... 2 to 3 times the cost of regular shingles.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:46PM
dekeoboe

Ours was about 150% more. Can't remember exactly, but definitely less than twice the cost of a composite roof. We were happily surprised.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:42PM
Houseofsticks

We are getting a metal roof. There are different types. It is more but will not need to be replaced for a substantial amount of time compared to the architectural shingles. We called the metal roof manufacturer direct and got prices and then called for labor from my contractor. On our 2000ish sqft roof (with high rise in part) was a $4,000 difference in product, labor is about the same for either installation.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 10:55PM
Beth Parsons

I covet a metal roof but our builder said that because of the many angles in our roofline to expect it to cost 2 to 3 times the cost of 30 year dimensional shingles. Of course, if we never have to replace it vs every 10 to 15 with asphalt, we'd still come out ahead. The price of oil is just going to increase over the years which makes asphalt roof replacement more expensive down the road.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:44PM
joyce_6333

We've been in our house for a year, and we did look into a metal roof. Specifically, the metal roofs with an air gap for added insulation...or so they said. It was an $18,000 upgrade. Being that we are in our late 60s, we decided to just get a good shingle roof.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
Powder room layout, what do you think?
We are in the back-and-forth with the architect, and...
houserookie
Floorplan advice
We are a family of 4 with 2 young kids ages 3 and 10...
Butternut
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Exterior entry stair or enclosed interior entry stair
Your valuable advice will be appreciated. We are every...
siena_s_dad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™