Do you scoop or shovel?

lindacJanuary 4, 2011

Weather guy just announced that we would have a good chance of "scoopable snow" before the week's over.

Around here some people scoop....I grew up on the east coast and I shovel....but I know what it is to scoop a path.

So is it just Iowans who "Scoop snow" or do others do it too?

Linda C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

Here we shovel snow and scoop poop...

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 6:04AM
jessyf

Whats snow? darfc.....

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:10AM
shaun

I've scooped cat litter. I've never touched a shovel.

yeah, what's snow? darfcwj

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:42AM
caliloo

"Scoop?"

Nope - never scooped snow.... shovel yes, scoop no.

Alexa

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:54AM
sally2_gw

Yeah, my first thought was that with 8 cats, I scoop a lot, but luckily I don't need a shovel....yet. lol!

I don't expect to see snow this winter - I think we had it all last winter. We desperately need rain, though.

Sally

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 9:50AM
cloudy_christine

Interesting. I love knowing about regional word differences, and I hadn't heard of that usage. I thought everyone shoveled snow. Is it through the whole midwest, I wonder?
I think Annie in Michigan shovels. Maybe "scoop" is special to Iowa? It sort of has the feel of a euphemism, doesn't it? As in "we'll just scoop up this lttle bit of white stuff." Or, is "scoop" used for big amounts generally? Do you scoop dirt when you dig a garden, or shovel it?

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:36AM
loagiehoagie

Another Michigan person here...but I do neither! After moving into my current home with a 135 x 25 foot driveway not including the circle drive in the front...I snowblow baby! (sounds kinda dirty when I say it like that? hmmm....it is what it is (that is for whoever hates that expression!)

Duane

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:43AM
lindac

It may be a "ruralism"....as not everyone in Iowa scoops snow. But enough do use the term so that I don't think it's unusual until I heard "scoopable" and that made me think about it.
I have a neighbor who will say, "Linda I'll come scoop your drive when I get done scooping my own"
And perhaps the term came because lots of people here use a grain scoop to shovel snow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scoop shovel

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 1:46PM
Gina_W

I thought this was gonna be about dogs!

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 2:35PM
doucanoe

LOL, Gina!

I have lived in MN all my life and everyone here has always "shoveled". I can't say that I have ever heard anyone use the term "scoop" when referring to any amount of snow.

Linda

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 3:19PM
jojoco

I thought it was about eating peas! No, I shovel, and shovel, and shovel (another snow day here with at least 1 ft of fresh snow.)

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 4:59PM
Bizzo

I don't have cats or dogs, but all I could think of was a pooper scooper, too! I was in MI until I was 8, then out of snow country until 18, but while I've shoveled snow, I don't think I've ever scooped it (except maybe for a snow ball fight!?!) Here in CT I either try to wait for the melt or pay the neighbor kids to shovel...

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 5:49PM
amck2

I grew up in northern New Hampshire - the White Mountain region - before moving to the NH Seacoast area in my teens.
Back then snowblowers were not common and most families had a snow scooper, in addition to an arsenal of regular snow shovels.

The scoop was constructed of wood. It was sort of like an enormous wooden dustpan with 2 waist-high handles coming up on either side connected with a wooden bar that you pushed to "scoop" the snow. The bottom of the scoop usually had flat metal runners that helped it skim over the snow as you pushed a full scoop out of the driveway to dump elsewhere. So, back in the day, I scooped and shoveled.

These days I shovel where we can't "snowblow." Except when using an actual scooper (which I haven't seen in years), I've never heard anyone here in NH (or in Maine, where I lived for 20 yrs.) refer to snow shoveling as snow scooping.

I, too, enjoy hearing about these regional terms.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:12PM
lakeguy35

We always shoveled in SD and MN when I lived up there. It melts in a day or two down here for the most part....LOL! We did have our first blizzard last Christmas Eve and shoveling was no fun at all for this guy. No snow so far this year. I'm a happy camper with that one for sure! We won't talk about ice.... a whole different mess to deal with : )

David

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 8:46PM
publickman

Scoop is for poop, and I've only used a shovel for oats at my father's feed store. I don't know from snow.

Lars

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 1:54AM
booberry85

As Jo put it, I shovel. Then I shovel some more. Then I shovel again. Then I collapse! More white stuff is on the way for the weekend.~sigh~

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 10:13AM
annie1992

Oh yeah, I shovel. And shovel. And shovel. We're supposed to get a foot of snow tonight and tomorrow and I'll shovel some more.

I do scoop poop though, and I also scoop grain with a big flat bottomed shovel with tall sides called a "grain scoop". It's not worth a rip for snow, BTW.

Annie (who needs to put on boots and get outside and shovel. Again.)

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 7:16PM
More Discussions
Not your average refrig contents....
Tartine bakery is one of the local San Francisco icons:...
jakkom
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™