External HDD Help ?

bunky_miApril 19, 2013

I picked up a WD My Passport to add to my Dell Dimension 2400 running XP home, but I seem to find the May Passport to install files,

I downloaded the drivers, and can find the My Passport in the Device manager under disk Drives, and also when I disk Management, it shows as Disk1,

How to I assign the My Passport a drive letter to make it useable? when I right click on the drive in the Disk Management, only properties and help are available

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

The external drive will be assigned a letter automatically.

Right click on the Start button and click Explore. You now have a window with 2 panes, look on the left side and you will see the C drive listed and possibly/probably and E drive. This is your external drive. D will be assigned to your DVD player but not visible at this time because there is no disc in the drawer.

While there if you wish to change the name of your external drive simply right click on the name, click Rename, give it a name and hit Enter. Done.

To view files simply click once on a drive or folder on the left side and the contents are shown on the right. Where there is a small plus sign or arrow beside a folder (depending on which Windows you have) on the left side this indicates sub folder, click it and those drop down underneath.

To see info on the right side in different ways look near the top right corner for a small box with a down arrow, click this for a drop down menu where you can select different layouts. Play about a bit to see which you like. I often swap beteen 'Details' and 'Large icons'

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 7:08AM
bunky_mi

Thanks Owbist

I still couldn't find the Drive with the instructions, so I went and downloaded the utilities and firmware, and did a quick format and then it was there,

So then I used your information to rename the drive

Thanks again

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:43AM
owbist

Glad you got it sorted out then

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
Win 8 network settings
I need to export my network settings to a flash drive...
carolssis
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
Video playing automatically
I have Flash disabled yet still get videos playing,...
davestexas
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™