HomeAdvisor . com?

Stephanie LangnerJuly 31, 2014

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a while and have posted a couple of questions. We are just starting the build process (just finished the rough grade). I am acting as the GC, and it is already proving to be a challenging task, but I'm hoping to afford some upgrades with the money that I am saving... We'll see.

Has anyone used HomeAdvisor . com to find subcontractors? I'm located north of Houston and construction is booming. I've spent many hours driving by new construction and talking to the trades to get contact information, but for bid purposes, I'd like to find 4-6 subs for each component of the build.

Please let me know if you've used the website above to find reputable subs.

Also, if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

It's just ServiceMaster with a changed name. They charge contractors for the leads and aren't very discriminating or careful about matching up the names wth the right trade. Nor do they really vet anyone beyond their bank balance to pay for the leads. I have a friend who's an electrician and he's been given ''leads'' for plumbing and landscaping----and charged for them. Consequently, he doesn't give much credence to any customers that contact him through them.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:37PM
Brian_Knight

I made the mistake of signing up with service master one time. Talk about shady and deceptive! All those sites seem very similar.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:33PM
tlpetty

We actually found our contractor on HomeAdvisor, but we got really lucky! He is great, but shortly after he dropped them because he said they were terrible. I much prefer recommendations and even Angie's List is better than nothing. Find one sub you like a lot and ask for his recommendations, then go from there. If you have a common builder's Alliance in town, that is a great place to start.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
We have started construction!!
We have just started construction of our new home in...
Jack Mason
acrylic type closet door suggestions needed
The master bedroom suite I'm building needs 'airy-looking'...
Bettina Hooper
Window Trim
I found the attached picture, and like the window trim...
burbmomoftwo
Floor Plan Critique
Building a narrow lot home and wanted to solicit input...
jdlarsen1
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™