help with glass shower door configuration

sjhillmanSeptember 28, 2012

We have a 42" acrylic shower base installed in the "top left" corner of the bathroom (floorplan view) with 3 surrounding walls. We would like a frameless glass enclosure, but we're agonizing over the configuration for the door/panel.

The showerhead is on the right side wall. Ideally we would have a left-side 12-13" panel, with a 28" door, hinged on the panel. (i.e., door handle within easy reach of the water controls).

However, we were warned that having the door opening on the right edge may allow water to splash out. We didn't want to put the panel on the right side, as it would be hard to reach the water controls. Having a 6" panel on each side of the door might help both issues, but the clean appearance may be lost, and it's probably most costly.

Is the concern over leaks valid? What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Normally there would be what is called a "Hard L" which is a piece of clear acrylic (plastic) which acts as a water deflector. Some people do not like these and most magazine pictures these are purposely left off for the photos but are essential if you want to keep water in, depending on the layout.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
Vanities on opposite walls -- how much width?
Hey all. We are trying to design a long and narrow...
jenmendel23
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™