Colonial/Georgian House Layout
We would like to build a house in a suburban division next year. We have not yet chosen a lot, but most lots in our area and in our budget are around 10,000 sqft (typically something like 80' X 125').
We have been looking at online plans, without finding exactly what we are looking for. So we have started drawing plans that would suit our needs.
Our list of wants & needs:
- 2,700-2,800 sqft
- Formal dining room and nook (prefer a nook over kitchen island with seating)
- Office on the first floor
- Large kitchen that can accomodate multiple cooks
- Large mudroom with access to garage (for us), side entry (for kids) and backyard (for dogs)
- 3 bedrooms (4th bedroom can be in the basement)
- Laundry room on the second floor
- 2+ car garage
- As much symmetry as possible, without compromising function
- No angled walls unless it significantly improves function
As currently drafted, there is a 3-car garage. However, the lot might not be wide enough to allow for a side-entry 3-car garage (24' x 34'). If that is the case, we would go for a street-facing 2-car garage (24' x 24').
We very much like colonial and georgian style houses. We have tried to keep in mind sight lines and symmetry when working on this house plan.
Your comments are very much appreciated.
Thank you in advance.