Installing our acrylic tub

zebra26September 9, 2012

We have a new build and it has for the most part gone pretty smoothly thanks to this forum. But...our plumber has not made us really happy and we are questioning everything he does at this point. The first thing is putting our shower head at 72 inches and my husband is that height. Ughhh. Another thing is I told him I wanted the acrylic tub to be done as the installation instructions said which is it needed to be set in mortar. He didn't do that. Thank goodness we checked. Also, everything we ask him to do takes an additional 2-3 weeks so forget asking him to correct the situation. Today my husband and a friend unscrewed the tub, lifted it up and placed the tub in mortar just as the instructions said to do. It feels so much more stable and I am so glad my husband went the extra mile and fixed the problem. Now two more tubs to go.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monicakm_gw

Ours is set in mortar too and it feels like standing on concrete (as in sturdy). It's amazing how much difference that makes. My husband installed ours. Did your DH put thick plastic between the mortar and tub? Don't remember where he got the idea (probably here via me)to do that so if there is a problem (ie leak)and tub ever needs to come out, it should just lift right out.
Monica

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:50AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zebra26

No, never thought about plastic but we have two more tubs to so so I will mention that to him. Thanks. Yes, it does make the world of difference in how sturdy it feels.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
Toilet seat height
The other thread here asking about whats new in bathroom...
numbersjunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™