10' deep shower base?

scbegoniasSeptember 20, 2007

We're soon going to renovate our hall bathroom. We'd love to have just a shower in there, but it would also be convenient if that shower could have a deep base for bathing the wee ones. Recently, while visiting on the east coast, we saw such a shower. I believe it was an American Standard circa 1940...square with about a 10" deep base. I've tried searching the web, but have only found two items...

1. MTI JEU D'EAU - super fancy and just not what we want

2. Americh Corp.

Are there any other options?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdockrey

You may sink the shower so that you have sunken tub as the base of your shower or build a curb and create a roman tub. as the base of your shower.

It really depend on your foundation/structure in this area. Also, it would be helpful to know the size of the shower space since you could replace the exist shower with a tub install a tub/shower combination.

I sunk my masterbathroom's shower for aesthetics and convenience. I wanted the shower so that it did not have curb.

RE: Americh

Americh has the Beverly 4040(40" x 40") tub, but it is very deep (32"). Kohler may still have a small rectangular tub that is less than 5' feet long and is not quite as deep as the Americh tub. I sunk the Beverly 6040 for my guest bathroom and installed three kohler watertiles in the ceiling so that it could be used as a shower. The spout for the tub is also mounted in the ceiling.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 2:22PM
cleo07

That's pretty funny. We gutted a 1940 house that had exactly the same thing. I thought it was a great idea too, but could never find one. This was a hideous blue and definitely not something to save. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 9:04PM
oruboris

Why not go with a regular tub/shower setup?

It really seems to me the 10 inch step over would be just as in convenient as a regular tub, but far less practical...

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 5:29AM
scbegonias

I really just want a nicely tiled shower stall. DH is stuck on the mini-tub shower stall. This was after his real estate minded mother said it would be a mistake not to put a tub in the hall bath. I've given up looking, and I'm happy with a shower stall. Now he can look ;).

Bookmark   September 22, 2007 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™