Tile repair under toilet

tekbroSeptember 18, 2012

One of my pair of four year old knucleheads decided to test the capacity of one of our toilets using the old washcloth down the hatch trick.

Toilet now flushed sluggishly, but still drained as did all the other drains. One morning my shower began to fill up with water while showering. I plunged the drain vigorously and it drained fine. Nonetheless, I removed the toilet and could not see the rag. Still decided to call in some backup.

Roto-Rooter inspected the drain with a scope and could not find the rag. He said it may have been pushed out to the main. I got a horn-type wax ring and set of brass closet bolts from him, though for putting the toilet back.

Anyway, as I started to replace the toilet, I noticed some of the tiles were loose, and the mortar (sp-?) underneath the broken tiles where the toilet used to be appeared damp and soft. *Uh-oh*, I thought. "I better get on GardenWeb before I try and put this puppy back, and find out what to do."

How do you do small-area tile repairs like this? All the videos and how-to's I Googled were focused on how to tile your whole bathroom, which I AM NOT trying to do right now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Is there any damage to the substrate? You should have a subfloor and something else. Depending on the age of the home, that something else could be all kinds of things. It's also possible that the toilet had a minor leak for a period of time before this incident.

At the very least, you'll want to make sure everything is completely dry. That might mean putting a fan on the area for a day or two. Then clean off the old thinset from the substrate and back of the tiles. Pick up a bag of thinset from the home center and some new grout. Beyond that it's just like the videos you watched, just a smaller area.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 8:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

I'd recommend you pull up the loose/broken tiles, take a photo and post it here for further analysis, commentary, and debate.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Kohler Elevance Tub - for disabled - gorgeous
Pretty new product from Kohler. anyone who is looking...
elphaba_gw
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Stone Tile Mosaic Tissue Box Cover - IVORY (TISSUE HOLDER)
$225.00 | Horchow
Moroccan Tile Orange Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (6'7 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Vitra by Nameeks Shift Bidet - VITRA 4394-003-0288
$465.91 | Hayneedle
Toilet Seats Cherry Fin Hardwood Toilet Seat Chrome Hinge
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Sample-Celeste Spice Gold Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Atlantis Tubs 6060A Alexandria 60 x 60 x 23 - Inch Corner Soaking Bathtub
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™