Something wrong with Avast Web Shield?

lydia1959April 11, 2011

I've got 4 infected pages alerts from Avast Web Shield within the past 5 minutes.. a couple were 'malware detected' and a couple were 'trojan horse blocked'. These are pages I normally check during the day (a trivia game, Wellspere and a thyroid forum). I can't imagine that there is really a problem with them.

Avast seems to be working fine otherwise. I am using Windows 7 and Firefox.

False positives maybe??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Up -Date and run a Malwarebytes scan for starters. See if shows anything.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

On the pop ups it says 'HTML:RedirME-inf (trj)'. This is a trojan or malware?

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 4:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Okay, ran Malwarebytes and that came up clean. Ran my AV and there was 870 infected pages which were put into the Avast chest. Ran a slower scan at Avast and this time nothing was found, but a few pages couldn't be opened. Just clicked on my trivia game and no pop-up this time... so hopefully the problem has been taken care of.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 6:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

You're not alone. I also began receiving multiple Avast reports of blocked malware and trojans late this afternoon. It said the infection was:


I updated Malwarebytes and began a full scan. In the midst of the scan, Avast popped up and said something to the effect that it wanted to do a boot scan. I let it.

It reported:

C:\CMPNETS\MEDIACTR\I386\MEDIACTR.CAB:>>rmtview.chm:>htm\accessibility.htm is infected by HTML:script-inf

There were several options and I chose "Move to Chest". The response was:

"Move to chest: ERROR 42111 (the operation is not supported for this type of archive.)

I selected Escape, the computer rebooted, and I ran a full Malwarebytes scan. It found no infections.

My computer seems to be back to "normal".

HP XP Media Center; SP3, FF 3.6.16, Avast 5.1.889, MAM, ZA, SAS, Spybot SAD, Spyware Blaster

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 6:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's likely a false positive. There's literally HUNDREDS of people on Twitter complaining of the same issue,

Problem was with bad Avast update (110411-1). Check your Engine & Definition update status and if you have that one, run another update.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 7:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I had trouble getting an update this afternoon shortly after 3PM EDT. I kept getting an error (403, I believe). I gave up and later did a manual update which went just fine.

    Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Problem I had with the error 403 must have been sorted out yesterday as I got my update on the 12th

    Bookmark   April 13, 2011 at 6:44AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
A free pdf to jpg program that works well?
I want to tear some pdf's apart, and wondering if someone...
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
need help finding laptop/notebook
I hope I am in the right place.. sure wish they would...
Sponsored Products
Animal Print Leopard Black 3-piece Rug Set (5'X7',22"X5',20''x31'')
Darya Rugs Ottoman, Brown, 4'8" x 6'8" M1515-304
Darya Rugs
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Glitzy
$59.00 | Home Depot
Vintage Boucherouite
| Dot & Bo
Franklin Bench - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Skyland Stripe 5 ft. 6 in. x 7
Home Depot
Flos | Hide L Wall Light
$575.00 | YLighting
Yellow & White Zigzag Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$69.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™