Walkin Shower w/o door or curtain

janetqAugust 5, 2007

Has anyone built a walkin shower that does not require a shower curtain or door? I am going to have help laying the tile in a shower that will be in the corner, 60" on one wall and 38" on the other wall.

Will this be large enough? Where should the shower head be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennye

I dont know the answer to your questions as far as measurements go, but I do not have a door in my shower. I got the idea from my neighbors, who did the same in two showers. I am attaching a link to Hotel Indigo, where I stayed recently, a very contemporary hotel. They also had shower panels, with a hole cut in the middle to turn off/on shower. I really liked it.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/in/1/en/hotel/PHXIN/rooms#

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 1:47AM
oruboris

I'm back and forth on this: I want it, because it would be one less thing to clean, and I wouldn't have to buy a door...

But I was at my new house today, 'drew' several possible layouts for a walk-in on the floor with tape, and didn't much care for any of them: They just seem to waste too much space. The actual area where I stand would be much smaller, and I'd loose a lot of space from the closet as well...

What I'd love to see is some layout plans: pics don't always show how the space works, and whats been done to contain the water.

Specifically, where do you put the shower head relative to the door?

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 4:12AM
carolemed

This is a sketch of our about-to-be built walk-in shower. There will be no door or curtain and the builder says it will be fine. Sorry I can't confirm that yet. The walls are up and it looks like it will work. The dotted line is the threshhold or 4 inch high area between the shower and the dry-off area. The small circle is the shower head.
HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: walk-in shower layout

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 9:31AM
janetq

Jenney - How expensive was the glass panel ? I was going to have a wall, but think it might be clostofobic (can't spell) Janet

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 10:09AM
mpwdmom

Jennye, your bathroom is very nice and your bird is hilarious!!! : )

Susan ~

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 11:25AM
mahatmacat1

OMG Jennye, the idea of a hotel that writes marketing copy in haiku...and bases everything on the Golden Mean...LOL with appreciation! Sounds like OCD heaven but it is beautiful. I wandered around some of the other sites and I think I like Scottsdale best so far.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 12:21PM
jennye

The panel was less than $300, around 250, I think. This included installation. He said I could add a door later if I wanted. A few drops of water get out, but not much. I am happy with it, although I wish I had one of those things where you can turn the shower on without stepping in. It doesnt bother me, and I dont get sprayed, but for resale I wonder if it will be a disadvantage. Hence the slot to put your hand in to turn on the shower at the hotel. Because of the layout, though, there was not much else I could have done. I thought about a wall also, and I am so glad I didnt...too crowded and dark.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 2:11PM
igloochic

I didn't have a huge space so my shower is about 6' deep and 3' wide. I didn't want it to feel like a cave so I went with a 4' pony wall on one side which really lightens it up. I was told that with a debth of 6' I could get rid of the glass door, even with our big shower head but I just couldn't do without the pony wall...too dark, especially given the tile we chose.

You could experiment with placing your shower head on a corner with the head pointed to the center or off center closer to the back wall and see if that makes sense. I did this so that you could reach in and turn on the water without being hit in the face with it. If I'd have been willing to give up a toilet I could have gone with a no glass shower :) But that seemed bad for resale LOL

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 6:32PM
jennye

Thanks Susan! The birds have monopolized the shower. I think they think I am doing the remodeling for them!

flyleft, I stayed in the hotel while they put polyurethane coating (toxic to birds) on the bathrooms and kitchen. I couldnt walk on them for 24 hours. Being the off season in AZ, I got a rate of $69 a night. I loved the hotel! It was total contemporary (maybe a little overboard, but since I am looking for ideas for remodeling, I checked it all out) and so friendly! They dont charge for pets, and even offer to check on them for you while away. It was a great experience and the workout gym was superb, complete with monorail lighting! Everything looked like it came out of a contemporary remodeling magazine.

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 9:32PM
oruboris

Carole, thanks for the picture: interesting use of the angled wall. I'll have to try some sketches with that...

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 1:02AM
slc2053

Take a look at this website.

http://www.clarkeproducts.com/2007/showers.html

They sell showers that do not have doors..gives you some design ideas anyway. I'm interested in your thread as we're considering the same thing. I don't want a door and DH doesn't want a curtain...but I don't know if we'll have the room. Also, I'm one of the few that do not like a shower that you can see everything....and everyone! There's a reason we wear clothes:-) Plus, all of these showers look great right after they are new, but when shampoo bottles are thrown around and grout in tile starts to get a bit diry and i start to get lazy about wiping a glass door down 2-3 times a day...then I don't want to see the mess....

Keep us updated....

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 8:21AM
teresa_b

While researching walk in showers, I learned they do take more space and generally users use more hot water. I guess they can be drafty if not designed correctly. They are so neat though!

Teresa

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 10:08PM
More Discussions
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™