Induction

eandhlAugust 2, 2012

Can anyone that used a portable induction plate and now have induction cooktop compare the two. In a public kit the range doesn't have the power to boil water very quickly. I wonder if a portable induction unit would be beneficial. I just read a review that they do not compare to an induction range.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

A portable induction unit works on 120v.
A cooktop works on 240v so everything else being equal, it can do more with four burners and do it faster.
Portable units work best when a smaller, covered, frying or saute pan is used and some amount of liquid is involved, because the energy is concentrated in a circle near the center of the pan.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:34AM
eandhl

Thanks, obviously not what I was looking for then but I appreciate the information.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:04PM
weedmeister

You have to compare wattage. The counter top units max out around 1800w. This might be about the same power as the smaller hobs on a range. The larger hobs will usually have more power, maybe even twice as much.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 3:42PM
ginny20

laat and weed are right - people who have tried the portables report that they don't boil water as fast as a full induction cooktop. I'm afraid that if you're looking to boil lots of water fast, it's still not magic, even with a powerful induction range or cooktop. My induction cooktop, on boost on the 11" hob, takes about 8-9 minutes to bring to a boil 8 quarts of cold water in a 12 qt pan (I try to start with hot water usually). But it takes less than a minute to boil a couple of inches of water on a smaller hob. Does that help?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 10:41PM
More Discussions
Bosch Benchmark Policy....
I live in the FL Keys, and we have very few options...
cudjoegal
KitchenAid Dishwasher Leaking Water - Defective Pump Clamp Recall
After dinner, we ran the dishwasher (KitchenAid KUDE60FXSS4)...
mn_runner
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
Capital Culinarian Huge Problems - HORRIBLE customer service!
I bought a Culinarian because of what I read here on...
explauren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™