Trojan.ranso

jamesntnApril 2, 2013

I am running windows 7. I have MSE virus protection, Malwarebytes and Supermalwarebytes. Yet, I was the lucky receiver of a Trojan.Ranso which locked my computer and demanded 300 dollars. I was able to do a system restore through safe mode, but am worried about this crap returning. This is just unreal to me, since I have never experienced this before. Anyone familiar with and have any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandms

Malwarebytes does not run in real time to protect your computer, but it can be used to scan and rid your computer of malware. After you did the restore, did you run a scan with malwarebytes to be sure it's really gone? I'm not aware of anything called 'Supermalwarebytes'. Could you be referring to Superantispyware? Same as with malwarebytes, run a scan to see if it finds anything to remove. No program can guarantee 100% protection, since new scams, trojans, virii, etc are always appearing. So all have their limitations. I would also recommend Spywareblaster which does offer some protection. Download, install, and update every week or so. No scans with this, but some protection from lots of nasties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spywareblaster

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesntn

Sorry, I meant Superspyware. Malwarebytes did remove the Trojan. Thanks for the Spywareblaster link.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
Owbist Where is Owbist?
Did he cash in? Haven't seen his dulcet tones since B4...
mxyplux
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™