counter depth refrigerator door swing calculation

karynAugust 30, 2013

We just bought a house that has a very high end LG fridge that sticks out about 10" from the counter!! :-(

The ACTUAL counter edge to wall measurement is only 25".

So we're shopping around for a true counter depth model to replace the incorrect one they left behind.

What I can't comprehend is "door swing". We want the door to be able to open all the way and lay flat to the counter - not bump into the counter and only partially open.

The full size spec sheet of a GE model we think may work is linked below
BUT - we have no clue how the hinges work - how door swing works.

What SHOULD we be looking for - and does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? From my limited searches (UNDER $2000) this GE model is the shallowest depth available on the market - which I think is what we need due to the above mentioned 25".

The attached DEPTH (LESS DOOR) spec of 23-7/8 has me a bit concerned and confused too... :-/ But also there has to be a bit of clearance behind so maybe this one is OK???

If we got this exact one - would it hit the counter when we opened it????? :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: GE 22.7 cu ft Side-by-Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator Model #: GSCS3PGXSS

This post was edited by karyn on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 6:47

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uptowngirl

A counter depth refrigerator will actually stick out a little beyond the counter. Just the thickness of the doors. This allows for the doors to swing open to their fullest extent without bumping into the cabinetry on either side. A built-in is installed with the fronts of the doors even with the cabinet fronts. They have specially designed hinges that allow the doors to move away from the body of the fridge as they swing open.

Keep in mind that counter depth fridges have smaller capacities than their regular depth cousins of the same width. Check cubic footage.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 9:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn

We ended up buying - GE 22.7 cu. ft. Counter Depth Side-By-Side Refrigerator (GSCS3PGX) - even though this is not a "Profile' model it's really nice.

Our counters are 25" depth total - so it worked out well. The doors actually swing out a bit as you open them. They do not lay flat at 90 degrees but open very wide for easy access.

With about 1" behind for the extras, against the wall the fridge body end sits right at about 25" - (where the seals begin) At that point it goes to 27.5" where the front of the door is (not counting handles. It's a very good fit.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Help Me Choose A Wall Oven
I have a Gaggenau 24" inch convection oven over...
heron3
Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Parts question: Fridgidaire Gas Stove Igniter
The oven igniter on our gas stove quit working. I went...
Pooh Bear
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™