Samsung RFG297 refrigerator whiney noise?

bbe782August 6, 2009

Hoping someone can help.

I bought our Samsung RFG297 in May and love it except for the noise it makes when it kicks on. I don't really have a problem with the loud noise of the ice falling in the ice bin because I expect that. However, when the refrigerator kicks on I hear a kinda whirring,whiney,squealy high pitched noise for about 3 minutes or so then it settles into the humming noise I'd expect coming from a fridge. The noise is loud enough to be annoying when I'm watching tv in the family room a few feet away. I'd read customer reviews that said the fridge was so quiet they could hardly tell it was running so I'm wondering if there's a problem with mine. Has anyone else noticed this kind of noise with the 297 model?

Thanks,

bbe782

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_f

I've been reading a lot of reports about the RFG297 and I haven't seen any reports of that particular type of noise. (That's the exact Sumsung model that I've been seriously considering.)

Since it's still under warranty you might want to contact Samsung to see if they have any suggestions. If you purchased it from a retail outfit like Sears you might want to contact them first.

Could you still exchange the unit if it turned out you simply got a bad unit?

Bob

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:25PM
sandiegowryter

I have had this fridge for a month and have not heard this problem. I do remember reading something in the manual about being sure not to block air intake holes in the back of it, especially with plastic bags. Have you checked this out?

It really is so quiet compared to my old Kitchenaid that I can't tell if it is running. Except for the ice, which is no louder than the KA was, so no problem for me there.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 3:11PM
nesting12

I think this is the one I have, too, have had it about a month. Except for a noise when the ice drops, mine also doesn't make any sounds at all. So, something's up-- I would just call and have someone out to look at it.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Bertazzoni 36" Dual Fuel or other range in price point?
There have been a lot of discussion about the Bertazzoni...
Buttons
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™