Unable to Copy After Highlighting.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8aApril 25, 2012

Just now, I started experiencing a similiar problem to the indicated at the below link.

I have always copied and pasted into a Word document when I wanted to save something. Today I am no longer able to do that.

I have Windows 7 with the browser being IE9.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Highlight Problem

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genes

Cant recall if you mentioned or not, but do you have an uptodate antivirus, do you also do malware scans with Malwarebytes or something similar??

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 6:28PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I do have Microsoft Security Essentials and Super Antispyware, and Malware Bytes which are all up-to-date. I run for updates for SAS and MB every morning and every evening, MSSE updates automatically.

I did scans with SAS and MB on Tuesday.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 12:55PM
mike_kaiser_gw

Have you tried copy/paste document to document or from another browser? How about just a few words of text or an image?

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 3:57PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Copy/paste document to document works fine. I can also copy/paste from other websites without any kind of issue. It is just Gardenweb.

I would have to download a browser other than IE and for some reason am hesitant to do that.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 5:09PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Just noticed that on GardenWeb, when I highlight text, a blue square with rounded corners with two white blocks overlaid so that they are joined by overlapping corners (hope that makes sense) and an arrow pointing upward to the right shows up just above the highlighted text and to the left. When I click on the blue square, the following options appear: E-mail with Windows Live; Map with Bing Maps; Search with Bing and others. I don�t recall seeing this blue block before when I highlighted text in order to copy it. I checked with other Websites and do not get the blue square with highlighted text.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 6:00PM
owbist

Why would you hesitate about using a second browser? Nothing runs in the background and you can have as many as you please with no ill effect to the programs or your computer.

Always safe to have a second browser for just such things as you are now experiencing.

Out of curiosity what happens if you right click in an open area then click 'Select all'

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 6:28PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Clicking in an open area, then clicking "select all," highlights all of the messages in the discussion. When I select copy, then paste, nothing happens.

I will try downloading another browser. Which browser, other than IE9, do you all recommend.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 1:58PM
zep516

I'd choose Firefox. Most of us are familiar with it.

See link provided.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox 12.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 2:06PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Downloaded Firefox 12. And low and behold, I am able to highlight and copy from Gardenweb with it. Wonder why I can't with IE9.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 10:16AM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Just wanted to update. Starting today, while using IE9 as my browser, I can finally copy and paste from GardenWeb into a Word document. Don't know why I couldn't for the past few days.

I will probably keep Firefox12 on my computer, but to be truthful, I did not like it. Maybe it's just that my comfort zone is IE, since that is what I have always used.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:47PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Well, this is just crazy. Now I can't copy and paste. Sure wish I knew what is going is with GardenWeb.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 12:56PM
albert_135

walnutcreek, don't feel too alone. I have this on again off again problem with copy when the source is nytimes.com. FF8.x through FF12. Very sporadic. No rhyme or reason.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 1:47PM
PKponder TX

You might just try the keystrokes to copy/paste from Windows. I work this lots of software that doesn't allow the right click copy/paste commands but the key strokes work.
CTRL + C is Copy
CTRL + V is Paste

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 2:50PM
mikie_gw

ummm maybe try in elevated cmd window
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 oleacc.dll

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:53PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thanks, pk. I have tried the control copy and control paste, but that doesn't work either.

Mikie, I have tried the regss. Think I will try that right now.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 4:55PM
mikie_gw

you figured out by now that little blue box by the hi-lite is ie9 option 'accellerators' Somewhere thats switchable on/off. Might be in Manage Add-Ons in the gear menu

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:01PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Yeah, mikie, you are right. I deleted that accelerator in the add-ons, but it still shows up. Don't know anything further to do. I tried the regss, but it didn't work for me in IE either (maybe I didn't do it correctly).

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:06PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Albert, I think you have it right. I'll just forget about it and use Firefox when I want to read Gardenweb.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™