Remodeling kitchen

bernilAugust 20, 2012

We've downsized to a smaller home built in 1974. No renovations have been done, and the kitchen is an enclosed room with old appliances. We are knocking down a wall, and replacing EVERYTHING. I've spent so much time researching dishwashers, microwaves, cooktops, wall ovens and refrigerators my head is spinning. I found this forum, and read a long thread about refrigerators, but still need help. Our contractor is putting the fridge in a spot next to a wall on the left, and we need to find something that will fit within 36"and still have room to open the left door to allow the drawers to open. Don't know if I should be looking at french door, freezer on the bottom models or side by sides, etc.

I've chosen a GE Profile induction cooktop PHP9005MSS, and a Whirlpool WOS92EC0AS wall oven, which the contractor wants to put under the cooktop for space reasons. These seem to have better reviews on Consumer Reports and Home Depot and Lowe's. Has anyone had experience with either one of these?

I'm still looking for a dishwasher and microwave, but seem to be leaning toward a Kenmore dishwasher at this point.

I know this is a very broad email, but would be thrilled to get any input from people who have any experience with any of these appliances. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bellsmom

I urge you to post a graph of your kitchen on the kitchen forum here on GW. Use 1 square per foot and show walls, doors, and any fixed items. There is SO much help there.

Sandra

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:10PM
lindy1096

We are also getting ready to remodel our kitchen. The refrigerator is going to be a 36" wide cabinet depth also next to a wall on the left. Our designer built in a 9" inch broom cabinet to allow for clearance for the refrigerator door to open. It's something you might consider.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:52PM
Angie_DIY

Our contractor is putting the fridge in a spot next to a wall on the left, and we need to find something that will fit within 36"and still have room to open the left door to allow the drawers to open.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that the layout that the contractor chose only dedicates the 36" nearest the wall for the fridge. If you leave it like that, I believe you have two choices: get a 30 or 33" fridge, or else get a 36" fridge that you won't be able to open the left door on.

Probably would be better to follow Bells and Lindys advice and fix the layout to accommodate the fridge.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Anybody seen/used the new Bosch Benchmark appliances?
I think they are shipping these now. I have largely...
Juno_barks
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™