Need opinions on white trimmed medicine cabs above wood vanity

kmcgAugust 1, 2012

Does it strike you as strange to have a medium-brown stained vanity sitting under a pair of medicine cabinets framed in white? Here's the story:

My traditional (vintage) house has prominent white trim, and this includes a window that's sort of a focal point in the bathroom. I had planned all along to trim out the mirrored medicine cabinets in white to match the window and door mouldings. I want to use medium brown cabinets to create a little variation in the room; I also think they look a little more elegant. If I do a white vanity, the whole room will be white, plus a little bit of veining in the marble-look floor tile. (I could jazz it up with a colored counter, but am more likely to go with cararra or a gray-green marble.)

So just as I get ready to buy the vanity and linen cabinet in the wood finish, I start to worry: will the white trim above the counter level create dischord? I'd be so grateful for reactions, suggestions, whatever you've got!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmcg

Here's a photo that illustrates what I'd hope to end up with by mixing the wood and white. My room is smaller, less grand, but this will give an idea...

Contemporary Bathroom design by Chicago Interior Designer jamesthomas, LLC

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:41PM
cottonpenny

Google "pps7 bathroom gardenweb" and you should be able to find another example.

I'm doing a dark vanity with white trimmed medicine cabs and windows, marble counter.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 11:11AM
kmcg

Thank you cottonpenny! That bath is very similar to the picture in my mind, so it is great to see.

Do you have a thread with pix of your bathroom in progress? I'd love to see what you've done/are doing.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 12:51PM
cottonpenny

Sorry, not yet! New build so we are just at the drywall and paint stage, no tile or vanities in yet. Actually, vanities probably are going in this week.

I got the same medicine cabinets as pps7 from RH, and the same Kohler memoirs sinks. Our vanities are espresso, and my flooring is dark wood-look tile. The counters are carrera, and there is a backsplash above the vanities which are carrera subways along with the shower walls. We have chrome wall mounted faucets. Overall pretty similar to pps7 except with a darker floor and my fixtures are more contemporary/modern rather than traditional. The paint color is Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore. Hopefully, it will come out nice, but it's all just starting to come together now!

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:44PM
kmcg

Here's a thread with pps7's finished bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: dark and light

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 12:19PM
kmcg

OOPS! The post I just made is nonsensical - I meant to respond to a more current post about a dark vanity in a white bath, since I had asked a similar question. Sorry!

Bookmark   August 25, 2012 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Sponsored Products
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted 17W x 30H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet
$815.99 | Hayneedle
Foremost Cabinets Haven 24 in. Vanity Cabinet Only in White TRWA2422
Home Depot
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted 17W x 34H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet
$903.99 | Hayneedle
47 Inch Larch Canapa Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Recessed-in-wall 56-inch Frameless Pantry Medicine Cabinet
Overstock.com
Design House Cabinets Ventura 21 in. W x 30 in. H One Door Bath Cabinet
Home Depot
Veranda Bay White Linen Storage
Overstock.com
28 Inch Glossy White Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
People viewed this after searching for: