Recessed or raised jets on whirlpool (and/or do you hate your tub

adh673August 22, 2014

I am trying to pick a whirlpool and it's pretty evident that I won't be able to try it out first. I sat in one (aquatic) that had recessed jets and as a dry tub, it was really uncomfortable. However, I have read that recessed jets are "for comfort" so I am confused on whether there is a huge difference on comfort with the water.

If you have a whirlpool, are your back jets recessed or raised and what do you think? I will probably not always have them on but I will always have water in there!

Also, if you have a tub you regret, please post- I would like to try to exclude some!

TIA~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

I regret getting a whirlpool tub. Never use the jets. Too noisy, and they are horrible to keep clean. I also think most people consider them to be dated.

If you must have "something" more than a regular soaker, consider an air tub. No jets and not the same cleaning issues - at least that's what I've heard.,

Having said that, I would never buy a tub (if meant for comfortable relaxation, and not just bathing) without at least sitting in it first. Many I've tried are downright uncomfortable. It s a very personal thing - and comfort depends on your size and preferences.

I'm currently on a quest for the perfect tub for my remodel, and planning a road trip to test out some models that are not in a showroom locally. Worth the expense in my mind if the alternative is a tub I will hate and consider a waste of $$$.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:44AM
monicakm_gw

I wouldn't have a water jetted tub because of the algae gunk that they ALL get. 99% of the threads I've read, people just stop using them because they're too hard to maintain and they find the gunk that comes out and swirls around in their bath water a bit disgusting. Instead, I chose an air tub. I've had it for 7.5 years and can honestly say there haven't been more than 15 or 20 times I've NOT turned on the bubbles.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:42PM
badgergal

I have a jetted tub but it does not have back jets so can't help you in that regard. My tub is Kohler's Mariposa and it is a very comfortable tub to lay back and relax in.
Unlike what previous posters stated, I do not find any issues with keeping it clean. I have never had any algae or gunk come out and swirl around in the tub. Occasionally, I fill the tub to the level of the jets, add some bleach and turn on for a few minutes. The noise level is certainly not intolerable.
I don't use the whirlpool on a regular basis but it sure is nice to have when I or another family member what to relax some aching muscles.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 3:10PM
adh673

Thanks for the responses- I am familiar with the reputation of whirlpools but I take a bath every day and definitely want the strongest jets I can get- I'm mostly trying to figure out the comfort of the jet types. I am not worried about the cleaning part with the new designs.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 10:38AM
lee676

I also have the Mariposa (6' version) and seriously dislike the overly sloped backrest which presses into my shoulders. The 5'6" version has a more vertical backrest that looks like it would be more comfortable. Also, it's 36" wide yet too narrow inside around where your knees are because the sidewalls are so thick.

I do like having jets, and there's nothing dated about them, they're still popular. And not that hard to maintain really.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:05PM
badgergal

lee676, my Mariposa tub is the 5'6" version and you are correct the back is not overly sloped. I am only 5'4 and I find the tub perfectly comfortable.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Lighted Tub/Shower Niche
Anyone ever wire a light into your shower niche? I...
monicakm_gw
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™