Acrylic vs. Fiberglass shower units

aam31August 21, 2014

Hi Everyone! Plumbing choices for the new build are on this mont's to do list. I'm debating between acrylic and fiberglass one piece units for 2 upstairs bathrooms. The difference is only about $550, but I'm $800 over budget and considering using this to make a cut.

Does anyone have fiberglass that is unhappy, experienced stains, scratching etc? I've read pros/cons, however I currently have a 'higher grade fiberglass' unit priced in.

Thoughts please?? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tuesday_2008

I have an acrylic shower that is almost 20 years old (biscuit colored) and an acrylic tub/shower combo that is over 25 years old (harvest gold - to be replaced next year),

They both look as good as new, except for one small spot around the drain of the tub where I spilled a little bit of drain cleaner and it crackled very slightly.

I will be replacing the harvest gold one with a white when I redo that bathroom - not because it is worn, but because it is gold :).

In my experience using other people's showers, fiberglass feels thinner, flimsier, flexible. I don't feel that at all with my acrylic. And they are SO EASY to clean!

Go with acrylic - they are too difficult to replace.

Others will tell you to tile, and I love beautiful tiled showers, but I just can't deal with grout.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 4:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monicakm_gw

Acrylic is the better material. I don't have fiberglass but I've been in plenty fiberglass tubs and showers. I wouldn't have it in my house if I could help it. The thing about acrylic is you have to be very careful what you choose to clean it. You can't use abrasive products. Believe it or not, Scrubbing Bubbles is "abrasive". The best product I've found for acrylic is Gel Gloss. I get it at Lowes. Time consuming as it calls for an extra step. You have to buff it to a shine. But the shower will literally glow! :) Stays cleaner longer too.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™