Happy girl!

party_music50January 28, 2014

I'm so excited that I have to tell someone! lol! I've finally *mastered* weaving with 4-ply waxed linen! I'm working on a new basket and even I cannot find where I did the joins. :)

Just quick pics, but you can also see what it looks like to weave with this stuff:

Now I need to work on weaving my willow!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Wow, I'd be thrilled if I could do that! You must have very nimble fingers. A girl could go cross eyed working on that :-)

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:28AM
KatieC

Wow. I just took a basket weaving class and, after weaving a simple berry basket with a wooden handle, I can appreciate how much skill that takes. I want to learn to do pine needle baskets. Free materials, hehe.

Please post a pic of the finished product!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:03PM
party_music50

colleenz, I'd say my fingers are very nimble... and somewhat abused. lol! Having small hands and fingers helps! And, yes, the work is very hard on the eyes. But I taught myself, so it is do-able if you work on it.

katiec, if you really want to learn pine needle basketry, the best book is Judy Mallow's "Pine Needle Basketry". Might be a long long while before this basket gets finished, but I'll post a pic when it's done. :)

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:24PM
KatieC

haha. I have that book in my library. Nice to know it's a good one.

Yeah, my fingernails, which weren't in great shape anyway, were trashed by then end of the class.

I made a few baskets 20+ years ago, bought a bunch of reed and chair caning stuff and then inherited 18 3rd grade Girl Scouts. My craft stuff went into storage. "Someday" I'll dig it all back out.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 11:56PM
annie1992

Wow. I have small hands and fingers and even smaller amounts of patience. I'll love to see that basket when it's finished!

Annie

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 10:36PM
mitchdesj

it looks amazing, I'm in awe at the intricacy of skill it takes.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 5:32AM
party_music50

Thanks, mitchdesj. :)

Annie, I just realized that making these little waxed linen baskets is like doodling in 3-dimensions for me. I got a few more rows done since the pics were taken, but this basket won't be done until sometime in March, or later. :p

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 11:04PM
annie1992

See, that's what I mean by patience. I'd forget about it by Valentine's Day and be on to something else and have a half finished basket staring at me for months so I'd feel guilty about never finishing it. I like projects I can finish in a couple of hours, not a couple of months!

I'm telling you, no patience at all.....

Annie

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 12:10AM
ann_t

Wow, like Mitch, I'm in awe.

I can't wait to see the finished basket.

~Ann

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 11:38AM
tami_ohio

Awesome! I can weave with reed, but nothing like that. Give me simple berry type baskets, square, round, or rectangular, but no pine needle and no waxed linen! I can't wait to see it finished!

Tami

Bookmark   February 1, 2014 at 3:00PM
party_music50

It is almost done and I'm so thrilled... the lid fits perfectly and I just need to clip the 112 spoke ends and check the shaping...

Quick pic taken with my ipad :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:21

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:46PM
dedtired

Wow, what a masterpiece. Has it taken you since January to finish it? If so, you have patience. I just love the colors and the cute lid.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 7:20PM
party_music50

Thank you dedtired! Yes, I've been working hard on it right along and took the pic as soon as I got this far. I haven't clipped the ends yet -- my eyes need to rest!!! :p

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 7:13AM
rob333

That is awesome! Totally freakin' cool

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 7:55AM
party_music50

haha! Thanks rob333! that's what I was thinking. ;^) I am planning to enter it in the state fair.... :o)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 7:23

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 10:40AM
compumom

Darn, the photo is missing!

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:46AM
annie1992

yes, it's missing for me too.

Annie

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:45PM
party_music50

Sorry!!! I have decided to enter it in the NYS Fair and have therefore removed the photo and won't show it again until after the fair results are in! I hope you all understand... I showed an early photo of one of my entries last year and it totally jinxed me -- they screwed up with the entry at the Fair and then to attempt to correct their mistake they entered it in the wrong division and I was heartbroken. :(

It's really a beautiful basket and I promise I will show it -- but not until August! :p

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 8:35AM
dcarch7

Basket weaving is a very well established art form.

Google Image "Basket art", Fascinating !

dcarch

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 11:04PM
party_music50

The tension is killing me.... judging for the competitions I entered at the Fair takes place next week. lol!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 10:40AM
ann_t

Looking forward to seeing your First Place Ribbon.

~Ann

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 4:47PM
dcarch7

"------ The tension is killing me.... "

Don't turn into a basket case.

dcarch :-)

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 7:32AM
party_music50

haha! good one, dcarch! :)

Thanks for the support, ann_t! :)

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:56AM
party_music50

Judging should be completed at this point, so now I can show the finished basket. I think it may be my new favorite. :) Won't know the results for my entries for a week or so.

Update: Weird, that photo is upside down on my iPad. Anyway, results are in. 3rd place. :p

This post was edited by party_music50 on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 15:24

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:09PM
party_music50

Well, I guess nobody liked my 3rd place in Fiber Techniques. lol! I never did find a 1st place piece on display for that competition, so they may not have awarded a 1st this year. I won't know until they publish the full results sometime after November.

As cooks, you should really appreciate this utility basket. I love this basket!!!!! it's a ribbed "fanny bottom" , woven with built-in side handles, and holds 10 lbs of potatoes perfectly. :) It was my only blue ribbon this year. My final results: one 1st and three 3rd place ribbons in the Basketry and Fiber Techniques competitions, and an HM in the Recycled Art competition. Even better news is that all my entries were returned safely! :)

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 9:56AM
tami_ohio

Congratulations! And I really like your fanny bottom basket. I haven't mastered round reed spokes yet either. I really need to get a few baskets woven for gifts. We will see. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. I prefer to weave outside where I can make as big a mess as I like.

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 2:45PM
mustangs81

U R AMAZING! I can't imagine what 1st and 2nd place looked like.
I count myself lucky when I braid my DGD's hair well enough for her to go out in public.

Bookmark   September 22, 2014 at 7:59PM
party_music50

Thanks, tami_ohio. I love weaving with round reed!!! I'm currently working on improving my skills with homegrown willow. It's much more difficult to handle -- both in the preparation and actual physical strength required -- and weaving outdoors becomes almost mandatory due to the length involved!

Thanks, mustangs. Second place was a small caricature-like portrait of a woman made from fiber... very cool! Never did find what got 1st. And re your DGD's hair, if you were to braid it at least 1000 times or so, you'd probably get REALLY good at it! :)

Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 8:47AM
jasdip

Wow Party, they're all gorgeous!!!
I love the idea of storing potatoes or onions in your large basket!
The small ones would be nice to put rings in, on a dresser.

As others have mentioned, your patience and nimbleness is remarkable. Congratulations!

Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 8:54AM
ann_t

Congratulations!!!! You do such beautiful work. Love the fanny bottom basket.

~Ann

Bookmark   September 24, 2014 at 6:46PM
More Discussions
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Really yummy vegan broth?
It's that time of year again. Planning for Passover....
plllog
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™