glass control panel on Whirlpool induction range w/ double ovens?

NewEnglandSaraJuly 13, 2014

Hi there,

We are in one of those fast-paced appliance choosing moments; our cabinet guy and electrician need to have our range choice by tomorrow morning! We have been struggling between buying a slide-in induction range and a freestanding one. After lots of agonizing, I think we finally decided on the Whirlpool induction range w/ double ovens:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-%5BWGI925C0BS%5D-1021750/WGI925C0BS/

We really want a glass control panel since we have had issues in the past with plastic controls bubbling up/cracking. The Whirlpool website does not indicate if the controls are glass, and we can't seem to find this info anywhere. Even the sales associate at Sears didn't know!

Does anyone have this range and/or know if the controls are glass?

Thank you!

Sara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hvtech42

Well this is probably too late to help you but it looks like the controls up front for the induction cooktop are glass based on the way the owners manual on Whirlpool's website calls them "touch controls"

However the oven controls on the back panel seem to be standard plastic push button controls. Finding this out took a bit of detective work. First I downloaded the parts list for WGI925C0BS00 on Whirlpool's website. I found the keypanel in the diagram and looked up the part number online (W10528782). Googling that led me to a bunch of websites offering it for sale calling it a membrane switch panel, which tells me it has standard plastic push buttons.

This may not have been the answer you were hoping for but glass touch controls have their drawbacks. On my last range I broke the glass touch controls (entirely my own fault) and the replacement part was EXPENSIVE. Much more than a standard plastic membrane switch panel.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:14

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:13AM
MizLizzie

It is glass, per my BIL. They have one and love it.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:59AM
NewEnglandSara

hvtech42, I am amazed by your resourcefulness! You are SO resourceful and helpful! I am inspired by your creative approach!

MizLizzie, I am hoping that your brother-in-law's stove is the version that we would buy: so great to hear they they love it! I really, appreciate your taking the time to ask him. :-)

Feel free to chime in with any additional info. The electrician is delayed by a few days, and our kitchen guy said he just needs to know that we are getting a 30 inch range: nothing more specific for now. We have a tiny bit of extra time to figure this out! :-)

Thanks again!

Sara

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:40PM
MizLizzie

I hope he understood the question. I can tell you it has been a great range in the short term. They've had it six months, I'm guessing. I have used the hobs and being accustomed to a Bosch induction cooktop, I found it them quite nice and fast. They love the double ovens and say they are both functional.

1 Like    Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
Jenn Air Counter Depth Refrigerator
Hi, We will probably be getting the Jenn Air counter...
C C
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™