Suggestions for a 5' Cast Iron Deep Soaking Tub Please

bobbie46August 21, 2011

I am looking for a deep, cast iron soaking tub. The 5.5' Tea for Two would be great but I can't fit it in my space. Kohler has a" Reve" stand alone which is lovely but at $3800 a bit pricy. Toto has a 5'x36" with arm rests and grab bars but I am concerned because it is only 19.5" wide at the base inside. The Greek Tub is interesting but I don't trust my knees to manage getting in and out. I've been reading the forum for hours and have scoured the Kohler and Toto websites. All suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cat_mom

We love our Toto 1525's--cast iron soaking tubs. Don't know if they are deep enough for you, but we are happy with them.

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 10:42PM
writersblock

Kohler memoirs may also be an option, depending on whether or not you like the style. Also Mendota. And AS offers a deeper, plain looking cast iron tub, something like the toto.

American Standard also makes a special overflow that works on any brand of tub that will give you another couple of inches of depth for whatever you choose, if you can stand the way it looks.

Here is a link that might be useful: deep soak drain

Bookmark   August 21, 2011 at 11:42PM
nycbluedevil

The Greek is only four feet long. We did a step in front of it with a grab bar and it is fine. I would not feel comfortable without the grab bar because my knees are giving up too! i posted a pic a while back.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 9:34AM
bobbie46

Thanks to all; cat mom,writersblock and nycbluedevil. I should have mentioned that the tub will be open on three sides to allow 30" at either end for a wheelchair to pass through. The Toto 1525 won't work but the Toto 1500 should work. It is about 60x36x22. I would have to build a 3" frame and I'm not certain how that would look, most surrounding decks seem to be about 6" wide. The other possibility is the Kohler "Reve" freestanding which finishes at 67" but it is pretty pricy. Has anyone sat in the Reve? I am going to check on the AS this morning and I am looking for the Greek. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 10:56AM
nycbluedevil

For what it is worth, my surrounding deck is 3".

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:14AM
writersblock

Oh, then the AS tub won't work for you, either. AFAIK their only cast-iron model is an alcove tub, like the toto 1525. They might have something in americast, but that's definitely not cast iron.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 11:21AM
bobbie46

Thanks again to all for input. No the AS won't work but it is helpful to know that nycbluedevil's deck is only 3". Please tell me if the 3" is measuring from the inside edge of the tub (a bit outside where it begins to slope down or are you measuring from somewhere else? I think it can be installed as an undermount if I have a cabinet maker build the box just a bit, 1/2" bigger than the tub. Then cover the top with a slab material. The total length would be about 5' 7" (I hope).
Glad to know some of you have finished and are enjoying your baths.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™