new construction radiant barrier

landngarageJuly 17, 2012

Building will be a story and a half with four dormer windows. Roof will be 26 gauge Galvalume metal, not the dark grey I would prefer but a sliver for some hoped for "cool roof" effect. Half inch wafer plywood sheathing with #15 felt. Rafters are 2x8 on 16" centers. Deep coastal south with only a few feet at the very peak of the half story that is what might be described as an attic. For the most part it will be lived in space up there.

We haven't specified a radiant barrier...Not even sure how that would be incorporated in this style of roof...any suggestions or comments would be appreciated on any aspect of this roof. Thank you......ps....any tips on what I should insist on as for the metal roof? 26 gauge "Galvalume" is all the contract says.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SpringtimeHomes

Usually the only cost effective RB is in the form that comes pre attached to the sheathing and you have duct work in the attic. You would be better off by interrupting the thermal bridging of the 2x8s with foam sheathing below the rafters or preferably on top of the roof sheathing. You also need 30 lb felt for roof applications.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:03AM
SpringtimeHomes

Usually the only cost effective RB is in the form that comes pre attached to the sheathing and you have duct work in the attic. You would be better off by interrupting the thermal bridging of the 2x8s with foam sheathing below the rafters or preferably on top of the roof sheathing. You also need 30 lb felt for roof applications.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:04AM
live_wire_oak

Radiant barrier only works when there is an air space and a ventilated attic. Your project, being living space in an a actual attic area, would not be able to utilize a radiant barrier. The only way to get the code required insulation for a residential space is to lose some headroom and use spray foam to get the required R value. Otherwise, that is going to be one HOT living space that even AC won't help much. And it'll cost a pretty penny to try to cool as well.

Ditto 30 pound roofing felt.

You've posted about quite a few issues with this build that do not meed residential code standards. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want to at least meat the minimum required standards for safety, comfort, and energy efficiency. Especially when there are so many opportunities to design something that exceeds code standards and performs so much better for safety, comfort, and energy efficiency.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:35AM
landngarage

Thank you letting me know about the thirty pound roofing felt. Story and a half homes have been around for a very long time. Aside from insulating the eight inch deep spaces between the rafters I'm not sure what more I can do. Please explain.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Need help with rigid foam and wall insulation
I am designing a house in Northern Arkansas and am...
josh02_2001
Protecting hardie from splash up?
Our builder is wanting us to add a few layers of brick...
akaypick
Master Bath Layout Help
Hi, I have decided to get rid of the freestanding tub....
noworries22
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Need Layout Ideas
Hello - we are purchasing the lot shown below. As you...
llandry1800
Sponsored Products
Wood & Iron Plant Stand
$69.99 | zulily
Palm 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Red
$1,859.00 | LexMod
Axis 4 Door Buffet by Copeland Furniture
$3,421.00 | Lumens
Red Polygraph Wool Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Clear Tempered Glass and Stainless Steel Columbus Dining Table
Zuri Furniture
Infratech 39 in. Dual Element 5000 Watt Stainless Steel Quartz Heater - AEIC096
$559.00 | Hayneedle
Couristan Outdoor Escape Cocoa Beach/Sand(2124/7025) Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicol
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Hudson Valley Lighting | Andover Four Light Ceiling Light
$850.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™