Is tile on bathroom floor slippery?

myrtle_59August 12, 2012

I want to avoid a slippery situation on all accounts. Words of wisom please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmcg

Glossy tile can be slippery when wet, so you would need to be careful. But you can get matte finish tile that is less slippery. Every tile is rated with a co-efficient of friction, so if you look at the recommended numbers you can be assured you're getting something you don't need to worry about too much. I don't know the number offhand, but you can google it, or maybe someone else can tell you.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:41PM
beeps

Yes. Tile is slippery when wet. Small tile with lots of grout lines helps with traction, thus the reason that's what they use when tiling the bottom of showers. Unpolished tile with some texture will help - but if you want to avoid a slippery situation completely - I don't think you want tile. I'll be interested to hear what others think...

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 7:42PM
suero

Get tile with a coefficient of friction >.6.

My test is to get a sample tile, put it in the shower and stand on it -- carefully. If it feels slippery underfoot, don't use it on the floor. I have Ilva Pietre Travertine on my bathroom floor, and it passes the test. Definitely not slippery when wet.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:56PM
beeps

Wow. Glad you asked the question myrtle and that kmcg and suero responded. I just found out the tile I was going to put in my bathroom had a *dry* COF of only >0.57 and wet of >0.22. So, looks like I'll be selecting some new tile. Really disappointed but so glad to know now rather than later. I was going to use that throughout the house except bedrooms with carpet. Off to pick new tile....

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:16PM
pricklypearcactus

I have Daltile Navelli floor tile in my main/guest bathroom. The site states the wet COF is .6 and dry COF is .75. I do not find it slippery dry at all. And I haven't noticed slipperiness when wet either. I intend to put this tile in my master bathroom as well. I currently have vinyl floor tiles in my kitchen and they regularly get water (and dog drool) on them. I do find them slippery and have on occasion nearly fallen due to wet vinyl. I have natural stone tile (honed ostrich gray slate/quartzite) in my entry and laundry room and powder room. I haven't noticed a slipping issue in there either.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 2:32PM
myrtle_59

Thanks all, this is very helpful. I had no idea about the numbers.

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 8:09PM
qt314b

My last bathroom I used a smooth small tile with lots of grout lines and it was fine, in this bathroom I used an 18" with a heavy texture to it for safety and I HATE it, every drop of dirt gets stuck/ ground into the surface and I have to scrub it all the time - I mean scrub not just mop, when I have a lot of guest it looks terrible, and it's grey to start with!

Whatever you decide make sure that your floors are safe, they really do get *very* slippery when wet

Rachel

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™