iPhone tethering question

cheerful1_gwApril 10, 2013

We're going to buy our first laptop soon.

We don't have internet access, but we each have a data plan on our iPhone 4.

I'm told you can tether your iPhone to a laptop so you can have internet access. Has anyone ever done this?

With our current Verizon plan, it would cost an extra $20 per month to tether. The other option is to go to the share everything plan.

Is the internet speed from tethering a lot slower than having regular internet access from the cable company?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

There's an app for that. ;-)

The iPhone 4 has 3G cellular which will typically be slower than a DSL/cable connection. Understand too that most cell carriers limit data to about 4 gigabytes, which isn't a lot, especially for a "regular" computer.

Bookmark   April 10, 2013 at 9:10AM
SnidelyWhiplash

If you have a grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan, you might be better off with that for awhile. Or, you might find one of the smaller carriers offering more aggresive pricing with a Mifi device.

Your speed at the PC will be the same as on your phone, the link between the two is WiFi, much faster than the 3g speed. You won't likely have enough allowance to use it for movies or Netflix.
Mike, note that a good 3g connection can be faster than entry level dsl, for instance. Also, Android phones have built in tethering, no app needed

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 4:50AM
azinoh

If you have caps on your data plan, you're going to burn through a fair amount of data each month just keeping up with Windows Updates-updates to anti-virus & anti-malware and so on. You may get hit with overage charges and your speed may be throttled if you exceed the caps. Your own internet service (if available) might be cheaper than paying your wireless provider...and more reliable.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 10:07AM
ilmbg

I have T Mobile.
I get 500mb of supposed 4g, then it goes down to 2g speed.
The '4G' is great.
If yoo travel where they do not have service, as I do, then it is frustrating. I do not have any Internet access when I am in Montana.

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™