Passing on the pros and cons of our towel warmer
When looking for a towel warmer several months ago I only found limited info on the forum. Some models sounded great but were not in my budget range and some models in my budget range had been discontinued. I ended up going with my gut that was influenced by a sale going on at Grab Bar Specialists. The sale price magically appeared after the item was placed in the cart. I bought a Jeeves Model H straight bar towel warmer.
My decision was influenced by budget (less than $250), depth (I didn't want it to protrude into the room), width and length (our wall was small), needed to be hardwired and could be placed on a timer.
It has been a learning experience that I wanted to pass on.
- the towels do not feel as if they come out of a hot dryer. They do feel fluffed and warm. We had a morning temperature in the mid 50s this week and it felt great using that towel. Even on a more usual summer morning in the 70s/80s the towel still feels nice off the warmer.
2) As both my husband and I use the warmer it helps to have towels that are less then 30 inches wide. Our towel warmer is 20 1/2 inches wide. Our towels are 27 inches wide. We can fold our towels and both of them fit on the warmer.
3) Don't buy thin towels - a thicker towel warms better.
4) Laying the towels is important. We put our hand towels over our bath towels at night. Keeps the warmth in.
5) For maximum warmth intertwine the towel between the rungs of the bar. It sounds like a pain but it takes a second before bed and the benefit is great. The towel has to touch the bar to get really warm.
6) The programmable timer that I bought with the warmer did not come with an outlet cover (Cheap) but I like the idea of a timer. We hid the programmable timer in the closet. It is a nice way to do it so it is out of view. The timer is easy to program. Our timer comes on at 2 AM and goes off at 8AM. My husband showers at 5AM and my shower varies between 6 and 8. The towels are warm. If I wait til 9AM the towel has little warmth left in it just as a warning. Also when we had the timer set at 4AM the towel wasn't warm enough for my husband.
9) Yes the bars are warm to the touch particularly the side bars. My kids are older so it is not a concern.
Do I love my towel bar and would I buy it again. Yes and Yes. We love it and know when winter comes we will love it even more. It feels nice to pamper one's self.
I hope this helps anyone thinking of buying a towel bar. Many thanks to all of you for the info you provided during our bathroom remodel.