help! tub just installed -- big defect in porcelain

naturalmomAugust 12, 2013

The contractors JUST finished installing our American Standard Cambridge tub, and tiling the surround and the floor. It looked great, until we I noticed that there is a section where the metal is showing through, the porcelain coating is so thin. It makes the tub look dirty, like there was a dirty puddle in it that evaporated.

I wanted them to take it out, and replace it, but they claim that the American Standard rep. can come out and use porcelain and heat, and repair it in place, in such a way that they will guarantee it for 20 years.

Has anyone else heard of this/had this happen? What is involved? Is it for real, porcelain, or some urethane crap?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I have heard of this bald spot thing a couple times recently with sinks and tubs.

I would want to speak with American Standard directly about what they do, because the heat required to glaze porcelain fixtures is very high.

I am getting ready to do a couple of bathrooms, if I don't chicken out. I will have to go everything with a magnifying glass before it gets installed I guess.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Barclay Products Drain Tubes & Fittings 5 ft. Acrylic Slipper Bathtub Kit in
Home Depot
Burton Flat-Arm Chair - BLACK
$3,490.00 | Horchow
Atlantis Tubs 6060SDL Sublime 60 x 60 x 23 - Inch Corner Air & Whirlpool Jetted
Beyond Stores
Atlantis Tubs 3660PWL Petite 36 x 60 x 23 - Inch Oval Whirlpool Jetted Bathtub w
Beyond Stores
Embrace Triple Concealed Thermostatic Shower Faucet Valve 2 Outlets
Hudson Reed
Palmer Tub Mat - EQUESTRIAN ORANGE
$22.90 | Horchow
Woodrow Wall-Mount Tub Faucet and Hand Shower
Signature Hardware
Coventry 2-lt Chandelier
LBC Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™