NEAT Ornament idea

PurplemoonDecember 21, 2010

I love how she did these ornaments, and such a simple idea! Her tutorial is very good.

Also its a neat project for some of you to do with kids or grandkids.

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty ornaments

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldalgebra

Karen,
I've never really liked any ornaments made with CDs. UNTIL NOW. They're great looking. And you're right, my grandchildren would love this - easy and a nice result. This is on my list for next year.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 12:58AM
sunnyca_gw

The vintage ornaments are beautiful & did you see the trees from white card stock. 3 pieces of card stock fold open stitch down fold line holding all 3 together & lightly trace pattern she gives on each side of line & cut through all 3 cards. Open for beautiful trees & storing is a snap, lay them flat!! Wow!! Thanks a ton!! Jan

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 2:18AM
excessfroufrou

Adding it to my list, they are adorable. I have saved my cards (Christmas and other holidays) for years.
Frou

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 10:36AM
luvstocraft

I agree with OA, haven't really cared for the cd projects until this one! I think that fake snow is what makes them look so great.

Like Frou, I've saved cards for years too. I've tried using them in various ways like cutting them out for gift card tags, mod podging onto a box, etc. Both of those looked very "homemade" and not that terrific.

I think this project would be fun, easy, and inexpensive. I even have a garland with some snowflakes on it that I could cut up--or I could cut some with the Cricut.

Would be a fun way to spend a rainy day--not that I need more ornaments, but could be cute to tie on gift bags for neighbor/friend gifts next year.

Thanks for sharing, Karen, I want to browse that blog more too and see her other ideas.

Luvs

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:17AM
lynnencfan

I love her blog and have it saved in my decorating favorites - she has some fantastic ideas and great tutorials. We will be doing that idea next year when the grand daughter and grand nieces get just a little older. This year we kept it REALLY simple with a 2 year old involved - next year we will break out the GLITTER!!!! TFS .....

Lynne

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:47AM
jeannespines

LOL, lynnenc, over your "glitter" remark! As I read her tutorial, I was thinking about the "faux snow" ... comparing it in my mind to "glitter" projects! But, the way she added the faux snow was ingenious! Looks like a real fun project! I've tucked it away, too! Thanks purplemoon!

Have you ever busted up CD's into hundreds of pcs! ...& then glue them on foam balls to make "Disco" balls! That was one project I did with kids when I worked at library! UGH! Always trying to figure out ways to recycle CDs at that time! LOL! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 12:50PM
phonegirl

Thanks Karen. These ornaments are so cool. I always have used CD's so will have to try some of these.

Jeanne, were the CD's sharp to work with? I've never broke one before. Sounds pretty tho.

Punk

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:42PM
Purplemoon

Instead of spray painting the one side of the CD, I'd glue TWO together. Then you can do images on both sides, plus the ribbon hangar can be slipped between them before you glue them.
Just a thought... ;o)

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:41AM
marylee_2010

Such a neat idea. Totally awesome. I will save this tutorial. Also like the idea of glueing two CDs together.
This is recycling at it's best.

Marylee

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 10:06AM
jeannespines

punk...no, CD's weren't sharp when broken up...we had a donation box set up & at that time, people were receiving free AOL start-up CD's in the mail & lots of other free CD stuff ending up in the garbage. Broke them up with pliers & a hammer! Fun, uh?

We also did what Karen suggested...glued back to back with ribbon in the middle...but they were a bit bulkier & heavier but worked! These vintage ones are really pretty on this blog. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 10:12AM
Marlene Kindred

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the link with us Karen!

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 1:42PM
Purplemoon

This is the first CD idea that I've really fallen in love with. Other than the suncatcher in the garden, where you glue the colored half marbles to the one side. Its real pretty in the sun and looks neat hanging from a small tree.

Wonder if its possible to modify this idea for other holidays? Instead of the snowflakes on the edge, the colored feathery boas I've seen?

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 5:42PM
nancyjeanmc

Love it. Wish I had seen this earlier, to pass along to friends who teach. I'll "file" it away for next year.
Merry Christmas,
Nancy

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 7:01PM
luvstocraft

Karen, I like your idea of putting two together instead of doing the spray painting. Would look better have both sides finished too I think. Good thinking! Luvs

Bookmark   December 23, 2010 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
For any of Gang on Facebook.....
I've set up a Holiday Group for us. Its a "closed...
Purplemoon
After Christmas
Simple table. As a lot of you know, my son & 3...
yachter123
trial
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a...
nana2010_gw
from Purplemoon
I still haven't gotten Houzz to accept my old name,...
Purplemoon
Love the pictures to the left of each new topic!
It appears that the first picture posted in a thread...
Tally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™