Fill gaps/screw heads etc with thinset before

alan_s_thefirstAugust 13, 2012

Redgard? - I'm using a backerboard. Easyboard, apparently aka Wonderboard.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/TDS/TDS-104.pdf I know some recommend Hydroban but I can't get it where I am.

It seems a little unclear on this. As for "joints designed to move," does that mean corners, or joints in boards? All my joints are supported by blocking. I've actually read online that some people suggest no mesh, no thinset in gaps in corners (I'm assuming inside corners, don't know the deal with outside corners)

The corner thing makes sense since I'm transitioning to existing drywall. I figure I'd use silicone in the gap between the drywall and backerboard, which will be covered by tile. When grouting time comes, either caulk or use silicone in the corner, to allow for movement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Redgard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

Silicone ALL "Changes OF Plane." Do NOT use grout.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 9:55PM
mongoct

"Joints designed to move" are the changes in plane...wall-to-wall, wall-to-ceiling, etc...in lightweight (cement board over wood frame) construction.

Your between-board joints in the walls that are supported by backing will not move independent of one another.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 1:28AM
enduring

Hi Jack, So does this mean when I get ready to put on my hardibacker around the tub and along the sink wall that I need to caulk the inside corner joints? Also the plain drywall joints in the other parts of the room that will be tiled? I will be putting Hydro Ban on all the walls that will be tiled for its anti fracture benefits as well as protection from water.

The spec sheet says to use a latex modified thin-set to fill change of planes and cracks.

Am I missing something?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydro Ban spec sheet

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™