making myself crazy!

limom_2btsAugust 11, 2013

We're just having a simple reno of the family/main bathroom done. I was finally able to commit to a tub surround tile (subway), a floor tile, vanity, faucets etc. Now I'm looking for a new light fixture and I got stuck on design. Here's my problem (which might not even BE a problem...maybe I'm just tired): the sink faucets I bought have a round bottom for the handles/faucet and the light fixture I like (after looking at hundreds) has a square base for the up-light glass insets. Is that acceptable or do those "bases" need to match? Would anyone, besides me, even notice? The finishes would be the same and the light fixture would be above the medicine cabinet. Opinions, please!!?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Oh, maybe it would be nice to match, but not necessarily. I think it depends on the styles. Do you have pictures you could post? I have some round things and some square things. Most of my bases of fixtures have square bottoms. My light fixture will be square too. But my drains will be round, my shower controllers will be round. All have a similar feel, which is contemporary. I personally don't like EVERYTHING to be matched. I can see perfectly matched working well in a very small place with not much going on; maybe it would be important that all elements be fitted perfectly in a pattern or style. But I'm just guessing. If there are other things going on, I like the variety that changes of shape can bring. And you're right about you might be the only one who notices, and if others notice, big deal.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 6:43PM
weedyacres

I can't say that I've ever walked into someone else's bathroom, looked at the faucets, cocked my eye up to the light fixture and done the analysis to see if I think they "matched." So I doubt you'll have people snickering behind your back at your design faux pas.

That said, the styles in general should blend well. You don't want a victorian faucet and a modern light fixture, even if they've both got round bases.

So if you're now well-rested but still second-guessing yourself, do what enduring suggested and post photos here so we can reassure (or correct) you.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 2:30PM
cheryleb

I actually do the opposite. I try to mix curves with straight lines in my rooms. I find it more balanced. If you love the light fixture, then use it and enjoy it.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 4:29PM
limom_2bts

Thanks, all. I feel better and will just go with what I like. Light fixture and faucet/handles will be of similar style (transitional) and finish so I think it will be just fine!
I appreciate the feedback!

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 6:30PM
enduring

But you have to promise to post pictures when you're done, you've got us curious :)

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
mother of pearl tile
I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of...
berdavids
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Sponsored Products
Beau Contemporary Mirror - Coffee
Zuri Furniture
Foscarini | Lumiere 05 Piccola Table Lamp
$536.00 | YLighting
Petite "Bamboo" Floor Lamp
$1,235.00 | Horchow
White Cutwork Hemstitch Coaster - Set of 12
$27.99 | zulily
Lourosa Quatrefoil 34" x 34" Decorative Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus