Cast Iron Drops really dampen sound?

gaonmymindJuly 23, 2012

We are looking to put cast iron drops on a few bathrooms because we were told it dampens the sound when the toilet flushes. It is a $300 upcharge for each toilet. Is it worth it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

No-hub cast Iron definitely reduces the sound of waste water but it is also important to avoid horizontal runs over occupied spaces and to use toilets that flush quickly and quietly like most Toto toilets. Vertical stacks in good enclosures are not a big problem. This is a common issue so your designer should be on top of it.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:44AM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Good plumbing design is the most cost effective $$ spent. You can't make up for poor design with cast iron.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:50AM
renovator8

It might help you to know that the term "drop" refers to the slope of a horizontal drain pipe. A vertical main drain is called a "stack".

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 10:50AM
athensmomof3

We have cast iron drops and Toto toilets in our new house. Had cheaper toilets and no cast iron drops in the old house. It makes a huge difference. We did add sound dampening insulation around our powder room as it is next to the den and we wanted the added privacy. It seems to help also.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 11:02AM
gaonmymind

This is all great to know. We are going with toto. So that will help. Once the plumber is ready to rough in I will talk to him about the vertical drain. There is only one bath that is the real issue. My husband would be very unhappy to hear a toilet flush while he is in his office since he works from home. He needs absolute quiet and is even installing quiet rock on his ceiling and a walls. He is a speaker and makes recordings.

We just want to make sure this extra measure will ensure absolute silence in his space.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 2:13PM
brickeyee

" You can't make up for poor design with cast iron."

You cannot quiet the noise of drains well without mass, and using CI adds the required mass.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
5 panel interior doors
I love this door. I have Trustile- 2 panel, in my present...
ILoveRed
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
Would you give this to the architect - take 2?
I posted a floor plan last week to get input before...
boonieshome
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
Add second story balcony before framing starts
My house's basement foundation will be poured sometimes...
houses14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™