Cleaning a Toto Toilet with Sanagloss Glazing

UpgradeResearchAugust 27, 2012

I am trying to find a suitable method for cleaning a Toto toilet that has Sanagloss Glazing.

Most of the toilet bowl cleaners I have seen in local brick and mortar stores have strong fragrances, dyes, and/or harsh ingredients which might harm the toilet finish. (I would love to find a toilet bowl cleaner that was healthy/safe for both humans and Toto toilets.)

In another thread, I noticed that a couple of posters suggested dishwashing soap/detergent for cleaning Toto toilets. Does liquid dishwashing detergent really clean and disinfect a toilet sufficiently? If so, how often do you clean it? (Note: I live in an area with hard water.)

I am also concerned about cleaning the toilet bowl brush. Unfortunately, it sounds like disposable toilet bowl brushes are not recommended for use with a Sanagloss finish. Since I am probably going to have to store a nylon(?) toilet brush next to the toilet, I would prefer it to be as germ/contamination-free as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

The instructions seem simple enough, a mild dish detergent and soft, plastic bristle brush. The concept seems to be that the surface is so smooth that things do stick to it.

How sanitary that is will require someone with training I don't have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Sanagloss Care Instructions

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 9:41PM
cat_mom

I use Lysol TB cleaner (I believe I had asked Toto when the toilets, with Sanagloss were installed and was told it is okay to use). I squirt it inside the bowl, and let it sit for about 10 minutes or longer, and then "scrub" with a plastic bristled TB brush.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 11:54PM
kaysd

Oh crud. I have a Toto Acqui without Sanigloss in our guest bath and have been very happy with it. I ordered a Toto with Sanigloss for our master bath because I thought it would make cleaning even easier. If I had known you can't use disposable toilet wands on Sanigloss I would have skipped it. I can't believe I am going to be stuck with a nasty toilet brush in the bathroom again. (Just great with a 1 year old who wants to explore everything.)

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 1:12PM
enduring

And Kaysd, it doesn't stop at one :O When my kids were 5 and 7 they would chase each other around the house with the plunger!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 7:43PM
BlackChamois

I have a Toto toilet w/sanagloss finish and use the Scrubbing Bubbles Fresh Brush toilet cleaning system. This uses the flushable cleaning pads.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
Master bath remodel - faucet help
I'm trying to decide between a few faucets for my sinks...
melissapta
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™