To niche or not to niche . . .

coolbeanswAugust 7, 2012

Hall bathroom renovation, 33" x 68" tiled shower in progress. Glass doors on long side, making entire shower visible from rest of the room. Due to existing studs, vents, and plumbing, cannot do functionally-sized niche on short shower head wall, and cannot center one on either the long wall or the short rear wall.

For convenience, will be installing a two-compartment shampoo/soap dispenser directly above the shower controls.

So should I skip a niche altogether, or settle for a non-centered one on the rear short wall? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

We did a tile shower at our lake house, and they re-framed the back wall to center the niches. maybe if you can't center one, can you put in more than one - and space them in a decorative way?

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 6:44PM
coolbeansw

Looks nice, numbersjunkie.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 11:57AM
kmcg

I love the look of a niche, but I'm tempted to go without in my new shower. To me, the tendency to get gunky is a bit of an irritant - but maybe that just says something about my cleaning skills! Anyway, now I'm looking at wire baskets that screw into the wall. Ginger makes some nice ones.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 12:23PM
jjaazzy

Kmcg they won't get gunky if you put a good pitch on the shelf. Coolbeans while your down to studs just frame in what you want. I have 2 and one is very narrow and very long, the finished with is like 5 or 7 inches and about 30 plus inches long has 5 shelves. For little stuff razors, washcloths, soap, love it! Then I have an oversized lower for shampoo stuff. Just add to the existing studs..

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 12:03AM
EngineerChic

I really value a niche in a shower, even more than in a tub because the edge of the shower is too narrow to set things on.

Here are things I keep in my shower:
Shampoo
Conditioner
Face wash
Body wash
Razor
Scrubby gloves (exfoliating things, sometimes)

Wall mount dispensers work for the shampoo and conditioner, but the other stuff needs a place to live. If you can put a niche in, even a smallish one, it's really useful for people like me who have lots of shower stuff ;)

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 6:37AM
coolbeansw

We ended up putting in a two-compartment niche on the short rear wall, between the center point and the shower door. Decided on function over form.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Textured tile on the floor of shower for safety?
I read this suggestion somewhere, has anyone used this...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Want to share a recent experience
I've never posted on this forum before, but I've been...
laceyvail
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Shower Size OK?
We're in the middle of a renovation of our master suite...
ntrainer
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™