Just back from DW appliance store--KA, Miele, Bosch questions
I just returned from the appliance store, and the DW scene has changed since I last bought. The salesman told me that all of today's dishwashers are better than they were 10 years ago, or even 2 years ago. Whether that is true or not, I don't know. I have some concerns/questions I'd appreciate some help with.
We need to replace a pretty top-of-the line (at the time) KA that is perhaps 10 to 12 years old. Miele, Bosch, and KA were the three brands I looked at today but would appreciate it if there are any other suggestions for other brands I should be considering. I'd probably be looking at a lower end Miele, a middle to higher end KA, and something in the Bosch 800 series. I'm guessing we'll be spending in the $1,000 to $1,500 range for a replacement.
Clean dishes, great reliability, and a quiet DW are my primary concerns. I live in a major metro area, so I think service/repairs would not be an issue no matter which brand I go with.
1. If there is no heating coil (Bosch or Miele) how do we ensure that the water is actually hot enough to do a thorough job? Do I have to have my water heater set to scald in order to get really hot water to the dishwasher? Is there a sani-wash on these brands? Will I miss not having the heating coil feature on my current KA if I go with one of these European brands?
2. Cycles on the newer models of dishwashers are soooooo much longer than on the older models. Do any of these three brands have an overall shorter wash cycle? (And, the 4K commercial grade Miele that does a load in just over a half an hour is out!)
3. Are the racks of better quality and more durable on any of these 3 brands?
4. Does anyone have any info on which of these actually produces the cleanest dishes?
5. Which brand has the best reliability so I am not looking at a string of repairs all the time? I believe I read that Miele has proprietary parts, so I am assuming this would be the most expensive to repair.
6. What are the pluses and minuses to these different brands?
Thanks for any help you can give me.