Glass half-door tub enclosure?

elizamammaAugust 22, 2013

I'm not sure what these things are called, but I'm intrigued by some pictures I've seen of a glass tub/shower enclosure that extends half-way down the tub. I like the way they look, but I worry that they won't contain shower water very well. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks!
Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

They are called shower screens, and they are more popular in Europe than here. I think they do let water spray out, the once or twice I've used them someplace.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 6:04PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Yes we have seen those in Europe too, and we had to put bath towels on the floor to soak up the spray that got out. Like having a shower curtain 1/2 way open. Perhaps a European who has one can explain?

-Babka

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 8:57PM
qs777

We put one in in our previous house. Ours could swing either way so it could be cleaned without getting in the tub. We loved ours and never had a problem with water outside. The one thing we did, though, was raise the height of the shower head since we are both tall and I think that really helps.

In our current house, I am trying to figure out how to do something similar even though we only have a shower. We are even considering putting a tub in just so we can do the bath screen. Can you tell I hate cleaning shower door tracks? HTH

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 5:12PM
writersblock

Gs777, you don't have to have a tub to do a shower screen:

Contemporary Bathroom by Mercer Island Interior Designers & Decorators ID by Gwen

However, I'm with palimpsest and Babka about the overspray.

This post was edited by writersblock on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:19

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 7:17PM
palimpsest

I have considered it because cleaning a bathtub with glass doors seems to be more cumbersome than cleaning a shower with a glass enclosure.

When we remodeled our former bathroom we decided to go low tech and low cost and stick with a shower curtain.

I have two baths to remodel in this house and may again stick with a shower curtain.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Layout help
Hello, I wanted to ask for feedback on my planned layout...
caligirl5
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Photos of your finished bathrooms?
Is there anywhere on this site where people on this...
bixa2805
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™