Call From "Microsoft"

mike_kaiser_gwMarch 10, 2013

Understand I'm working long distance with my mom whose computer literacy is rather limited. She got a call from someone claiming to represent Microsoft. Fortunately she had the good sense to recognize a scam and asked the guy if she could have a phone number to call him at. He gave her an eleven digit phone number. ;-)

What's interesting is that she was having problems with her computer immediately before the phone call. Could it just be a coincidence or is something more sinister afoot.

She had a virus a while back that I cleaned up. If I recall correctly, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials as part of the process.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I had one of those calls, it was fun for me. Told him I didn't have a computer, how could it be sending out virus's. He insisted somebody in the house was using a computer that was sending out virus's. I said maybe it was my refrigerator, maybe it has a computer in it. It cost so much it should have one. on and on.... he finally understood what I was saying and laughed and went away.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 11:01PM
sushipup1

"What's interesting is that she was having problems with her computer immediately before the phone call. Could it just be a coincidence or is something more sinister afoot. "

Your mother probably has problems with her computer all the time. Timing is coincidental, I think.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 11:34PM
SnidelyWhiplash

I've gotten similar calls. Both times it was a voice with a very heavy Indian accent and with boiler room sounds in the background. He said that he was calling from Microsoft's Security Department. I said both times that they were wasting their time trying to scam me and they hung up. It's obviously an internet call, but they use a falsified caller ID (the number was non-existent when I tried to call back).

I don't think you need to worry about anything sinister going on.

Many phone numbers, when calling internationally, have 11 digits. US numbers have 11,

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:29AM
genes

I tell them that their call is kind of weird as I dont have any Microsoft products in the house..all are Apple computers, which throws them for a loop..doesnt know what to say then..although the whole thing is a lie, dont have any Apple products

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:54AM
jean_mi_z5

I also received one of those calls some time back. I kept telling him that I knew it was a scam and the funny part was, he chuckled and admitted that it was a scam.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 8:49AM
Cricketm

Mikie....I love the way you handled that phone call.....I use to say "Listen we have a dinner party going here please give me your phone number and I will call you back"...now all I do is hang up the phone....I don't even bother to talk to them or my other option is I don't answer the phone after I check the i.d.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Help... Laptop changed Mobile PC display?
The display became very small on my Toshiba C655. When...
don_na_na
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™