Broadcom wireless adapter not working

grandmsMarch 12, 2011

I had an older HP dv6000 series laptop which I gave to my son. It has the built-in Broadcom 802.11 wireless adapter. This has stopped working regardless of whether the switch is on or off. It also does not show in Network Devices. This is a known problem with these computers as I found by doing some research. Seems those under warranty are repaired by having HP replace the motherboard. I know this one will not be repaired at its age. However, can I purchase a PCI Express wireless card that would work? Or would a USB adapter be better? My son needs the wireless working to connect to the Internet where he lives.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

My toshiba pci express cards plug flush within a metal case. Be kind of hard on a wifi radio signal.

I might get a cheaper usb wifi adapter and maybe an accessory usb cord for it so it can dangle somewhere nearby for best reception when needed in bad spots.

They also make nifty little usb wifi network adapters with various little antenna's .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hawkingtech...

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 10:52PM
mike_kaiser_gw

To answer your specific question, I'd shop mainly by price. I don't see investing too much in a network adapter for an older computer. You'll want a USB adapter.

I don't know how you feel about this or what you might have done, but it might be worth the effort to poke around a bit. I'd check with HP for the latest, greatest driver and install that. If that doesn't help, I'd delete the network card in Device Manager, reboot, let Windows reinstall it, and see what that does.

The computer does use a mini card so you don't have to replace the motherboard. I can't see it being cost effective unless you can find a used one somewhere and have the ability to replace it yourself.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 11:07PM
grandms

Thanks, Mikie and Mike. I figured the USB route would be the way to go. He'll check and see what he can find at Staples.

Those owners who were under warranty and sent their laptops back to HP did have the motherboards replaced, but, no, I'm not going to spend money like that on this computer.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 6:49PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I'd try Newegg. Staples is likely to have a much smaller selection and higher prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Newegg

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™