Dishwasher dilemma: Which would you do?

Helena2013July 18, 2013

I'm having the worst time deciding what to do with about the dishwasher in the house I just bought. The one that is there is on its last legs (actually probably just one leg, LOL). Here are my choices:

(a) I could buy a new dishwasher. I definitely want a stainless steel interior and would very much like a true heated dry cycle. After looking in stores all week, the only ones that impressed me at all were an LG LDS5540 at $675 (but no heated dry) and the KitchenAid ProScrub KUDS301X (which does have a heated dry but also a lot of bad user reviews) at the same price point. EVERY other dishwasher I looked at either felt cheaply made (including all the other KitchenAids) and/or had an interior racks layout that I didn't like/wouldn't work with at all. Sometimes both, LOL

or

(b) I could relocate the dishwasher from my current house, which is an 8 year old Miele that I originally paid $900 for (stainless interior, black which is the color I need, and has the cutlery tray which is the true honest reason that I bought it in the first place, LOL) and put up with the ridiculously long wash times and the lack of a heated dry cycle. This would have the advantage of being a "free" dishwasher BUT... my current house is for sale and in a high end kitchen I can't suddenly have an empty space where the dishwasher used to be, LOL. So I'd have to buy a cheapie dishwasher for, say, $300 (if I can even find one at that price, and which would look very weird in the same kitchen as a Wolf cooktop) and then pay my plumber probably $200 (at least) to move the Miele to the other location (not nearby) and hook it up. So to keep my "free" Miele would end up costing me $500. Makes me wonder if for another $200 or so, I should go with Option A which at least would have the benefit of being under warranty for a while. It's not like I'm madly in love with the Miele, by any means.

If it were you, which would you do? I'm just spinning my wheels at this point.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

If you happen to live near Long Island, I have an older black Miele that needs a home...

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 7:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

I'd do option A, myself, although I know what you mean about the long unheated cycles. The "light wash" on my Maytag lasts 80 minutes. But I think it is better value to get a new DW than to try to move, reinstall and replace the Miele, especially since you're not in love with it.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
DCS Gas range review
DCS gas range review
brett_champagne
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Whirlpool Chillerator Repair Question
I posted on this issue in Electrical Wiring, but I...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™